PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt run on shingle

Paul Edmonson
03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
First time to see this on a shingle. Any thoughts on this type of run? Manufacturing defect?

Thanks

Paul

chris mcintyre
03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Looks like a steep roof, shingles are not laying flat.....roof over?

Runs may be from adhesive that the roofer applied.

Rick Cantrell
03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Could be that the roofer applied mastic, but
I think it is more likely that the factory applied too much mastic on the strips. Gonna be one or the other though.

Scott Patterson
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking that that the roof was installed when it was cold and the shingles did not seal. Then the roofer came back and applied mastic/goop and we are seeing the result after the shingle have heated up.

Paul Edmonson
03-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Paul

Jerry Peck
03-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Many shingle roof manufacturers require, for steep roof installations, that the bottom of the shingles be masticed (is that a word? ;) ) down with plastic roof cement as the shingles are at such an angle that gravity may not seal the shingles together.

Use too much plastic roof cement and get a real hot day ... yeah, I can see that happening ... or even worse with more plastic roof cement dripping down.

Brandon Whitmore
03-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Today, I had a house that had horizontal bleed out coming from the architectural comp. shingles at the glued on chunks that give them that 3d look-- they were definitely not due to someone gluing them down after the fact. Dang it-- should have taken pictures.