PDA

View Full Version : Checking if vinyl siding is properly installed.

M Kelekci
07-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Do you all check if vinyl siding is fastened correctly and the expansion and contraction moves won't cause any defect?

If you do, how?

Thanks,

Phillip Stojanik
07-29-2007, 11:47 AM
No.

Vinyl siding is "blind nailed" by design just like roofing shingles and you as a generalist home inspector conducting a visual "inspection" will not "see" the nailing pattern. Nor will you "see" the type of fasteners used, nor will you "see" the substrate to which it is secured.

In other words, you are not Superman and you do not have x-ray vision or the ability to see the beauty (or the ugly) below the skin of any home. What you should be looking for though is any "visible" signs of a problem with the siding installation/performance.

I realize I am not being very helpful but today is my day to think about generalities and not specifics. It is the Sabbath after all so have some faith.

Charles Sessums
07-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Grab the end of the vinyl where it overlaps another piece and tug gently. It should move side to side a bit.

Matt Fellman
07-29-2007, 07:06 PM
I agree with above posts... Also, it's like any other siding. A botched job is obvious once you know what you're looking for. After seeing enough good installs or studying some install specs you'll get good recognizing what the cuts should look like around windows, at edges and at any other junction.

Rob Thomas
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
You can't see the nailing pattern, but you can pry the sections apart at the lap joints to see if housewrap was used. I always report the lack of housewrap, whether it was required by code or not.

Also, there should be a mounting block at any fixture on an exterior wall that is covered with vinyl siding. This allows unrestricted expansion and shrinkage of the vinyl siding, which is an absolute necessity.

RT

Do you all check if vinyl siding is fastened correctly and the expansion and contraction moves won't cause any defect?

If you do, how?

Thanks,

M Kelekci
07-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Grab the end of the vinyl where it overlaps another piece and tug gently. It should move side to side a bit.

What if it is not "moving side to side a bit". Do you all report that or you all assume it is not moving due to shrinkage or expansion of vinyl?

You guys are great help, thanks.

Charles Sessums
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Properly installed vinyl will allow some movement. During the inspection I check for movement and found there was not adequate give in the material. This can cause buckling as the seasons change. The only remedy to ensure this does not happen is to remove and properly reinstall the siding.