PDA

View Full Version : Flu blowing on gas union

Kevin VanderWarf
07-30-2007, 05:54 AM
This looks a poor design to me, but with that in mind I certainly would have put my union and shut off valve someplace else.

This is a Trane gas pack, never seen one like it must be new. It looks like the exhaust fitting is mounted properly. With the configuration of the gas line entrance and the exhaust, it looks like you would find flu gas blowing on the gas line one way or another. Unless the gas line were run low or buried.
Either way it looks like a little of both, design and installer error

DavidR
07-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Wonder how much of that flue gas is making it back into the burner compartment?

Kevin VanderWarf
08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Gotta try and get more feed back on this thread. I posted it a few weeks back and didn't much response.
I ran into the same problem on another job yesterday.
The flu is blowing directly on the non-galvanized, unpainted gas line.
That exhaust is acidic right? This can't be a good setup.
I recommended that the gas line be re-routed and painted, I don't see where the flu vent could be changed.

Billy Stephens
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I checked TRANE web site. Owners manual with install guide shows Flue pointing up
and a vent cover on gas intake pointed down. Sorry no link Model# XL16009ycz).
Reflection in your picture looks like there is a gap between cabinet and electrical entry.

Billy

DavidR
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
That exhaust is acidic right? This can't be a good setup.

Has a ph of approximately 4.

Kevin VanderWarf
08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Billy,

So your saying the black plastic piece should point up? It looked kinda rectangular so I didn't think it would mount 90degrees from from it's present position.
Well, that's good to know and it's a simple fix.

Anyway, the HVAC contractor doesn't appear to be in the habit of leaving the manuals behind.
Thanks for your help.

Billy Stephens
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Kevin,

The one model I checked had the( Black plastic ) vent pointed up. There was also a cover on the gas intake with the opening for intake air pointed down. Looking at your picture
not sure if there is room to install this cover without rerouteing gas line. Might want to find
the Model # in question installation instructions for proper install for your report reference.

Billy

Kevin VanderWarf
08-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Billy,
I gonna recommend that both clients get a 2nd opinion on the entire system.
The original contractor thinks everything is fine.
Both systems also have excessive sweating on the compressor. I'm told that this may very well be a duct design (beyond my scope) problem.
But your info has been very helpful in finishing my report and giving the 2nd opinion guy some direction.
I think I'm gonna leave it at that.