PDA

View Full Version : Overhang roof sag

Jeff Gainey
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Inspected a home yesterday which is typical 1920's home with overhang on rake edges. The sag noticed is something

I would like to know how you would report this defect.

Of coarse the 3 layers of shingles on this roof does not help the problem.
I have seen this much overhang with decorative bracing used to support them and.
Thanks in advance for your input.

wayne soper
03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Improper framing. Picture is what it should have looked like. I can only assume that no lookouts were installed.

Why do you think they call them lookouts:D

John Kogel
03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Jeff, any chance that overhang was added later in the life of the house? Reason I'm thinking so, usually the ridge board would extend out and hold the upper end up. Then the shiplap would also extend out to the gable end, fascia rafter, rake plank, or insert your favorite word for it here. :D

Regardless, it is indeed improper. I think you're going to suggest adding Brackets?

mike huntzinger
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
with 3 layers of shingles , the extra weight may be to blame also

Bill Wieczorek
03-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Both Wayne and Johns answers seem logical. What did it look like if seen from the ground, could you see any supports

Don Hester
03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I have seen this exact same thing on a 60's home. And it did not have any lookout rafters. They just sheeted out and added a facia. I think I recommend installing knee braces for a possible correction.

Cornish Home Inspections
03-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Sagging Rake lookouts - simply improper roof framing. Very dangerous, but an easy fix.

Darrell Covington
03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
It is common for bungalow style houses to have exposed decking and "fly" or barge rafters. Typically decorative and functional brackets were installed to help support the overhang. These houses were roofed with wood shingles. As the house aged, layers of composition shingles were added, adding substantial weight and producing the sag. This house may be an example. The photos don't show the rake or the barge rafter, so I'm not sure if this house is typical of what I described.

Simple correction, strip roof down to deck, correct sag by fixing or installing brackets. Lookouts or ladder blocks were not typically installed on these houses.

Rolland Pruner
03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Jeff This is what I would report;

A noticable sag was noted in the roof line, I highly recommend having an applicable contractor evluate and advise on this to assure it is serviceable.

Brandon Whitmore
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Sagging Rake lookouts - simply improper roof framing. Very dangerous, but an easy fix.

What's so dangerous about the sag? Have you seen or heard of failure over in snow country?