PDA

View Full Version : need to repair a leaning brick wall

StantheMailman
03-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I have brick wall on my garage which is an addition. The wall is leaning away from the studs due to the builders not using ties at the time of construction. Several of my friends are builders and contractors. It has been my idea and I have questioned around about the possibility of using 3/8" drop-in anchors and some Unitex General purpose adhesive along with 3/8" in all thread from several points in the brick and through other 2x4's between the studs. The area that I am working with is about 3' x 6'. The theory is that as I tighten each length of all thread it will walk the wall into place.Tightening a different bolt at a time so as to relieve stress on any one at at time. Is this at all a way to fix this?

Benjamin Thompson
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
It will probably crack at the mortar joints, but what do you have to lose? Either tear it down and rebuild it or try your method. If it doesn't work, tear it down and rebuild it.
How about a sheet of plywood or two at the exterior and crank the plywood in against the brick to spread the load?

James Duffin
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I think I would get me about three 14" x 3' long pieces of 1/4" plate steel and weld about six equally spaced 1/2" rod couplings on the steel plate. I would then attach the steel plates to the back of the brick (rod couplings facing out) with an epoxy similar to what you listed and let it sit for the maximum cure time. I would then insert 1/2" threaded rod in the rod couplings and tighten the nuts up evenly. Hopefully there will be enough contact surface on the three steel plates for the epoxy to hold the plates to the brick. Drilling lots of small holes in the plates and brick would help the epoxy hold better. (There is no guarantee that this is a good idea!)

Randy Mayo
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Looks this site: Thor Helical - Thor Helical Wall Ties (http://www.thorhelical.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=7)

They have a system for installing brick ties by drilling through the brick joints.

StantheMailman
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I have thought of adding pressure from the opposite side of the wall so as to push in one direction ad pull from the other. I have also been thinking of making over sized washers out of some 1/8" flat plate that I have. If I use the drop-in anchors with the adhesive, will that be sufficient strength to hold the anchors in once I have used the setting tool? I'm thinking about every 6" to 8" in several parts of the wall.

Jim Luttrall
03-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Thor Helical - Thor Helical Remedial Wall Ties (http://www.thorhelical.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=8)

They also have a remedial tie.
A brick wall of this size should not be all that heavy or hard to move I would first try a simple plywood plate with 2x4 bracing to the ground to push the whole wall into place.
Then install anchors to hold it in place.

Egbert Jager
03-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Do it right.

Take it apart, put it back together right. No cracks. No funny harware sticking out. No penetrations throught he brick and mortar where there shouldn't be. No problems when it comes time to sell in the future.