PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Windows

David Banks
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
House today 11 years old. Vinyl windows were very hard to operate. Open/close. Question, Because the problem seemed so widespread who would everyone recommend I defer this to? Wording for report recommendation? Thanks for any advice.

Dom D'Agostino
07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Just report what the conditions were, which units were or were not affected, and recommend repairs by a qualified window technician. Down here, that means the same companies that install windows, doors, skylights, etc.

Dom.

Jerry Peck
07-30-2007, 05:07 PM
who would everyone recommend I defer this to?

I agree with Dom, you do not "defer" it, you have *already determined* the windows are tight, the next step is to 'have the windows repaired as necessary'.

Michael Thomas
07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
In my dialect of Homeguage, it would be something like:

(RR) Replace or repair windows: Many of the double hung vinyl windows at this property are difficult to operate, both upper and lower sashes bind in their tracks. Repair or replacement of these windows could be a substantial expense. I recommend that if possible you determine from the sellers or their agent who installed the windows, and if there is a transferable warranty available to you from the manufacturer or installer. If warranty service is not available, I recommend repair or replacement as required by a qualified, licensed and insured window service and installation contractor."

Matt Fellman
07-30-2007, 05:56 PM
I keep it short and sweet... explain the problem, where it's at (in this case 'throughout') and then a recommendation. For this I would probably say something like.... 'these should be repaired or replaced to function properly' or 'repaired or replaced to function as intended'

I find if I give a destination rather than a path my life is easier.

If you give the path and your path is wrong (or some contractor chooses another path) you just bought it.

Water in crawl spaces is a good example of this... people always try to beat out of me exactly what I want to see... I just keep repeating that I want to see no water. Trenches, sump pumps, waving dead chickens, whatever... if it gets rid of the water it's great by me.

Rick Hurst
07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Numerous windows were found to be difficult to open and close. Contact a window company for repairs or possible replacement.
All bedrooms should have a window that is operable for egrees in case of an emergency.

Michael Thomas
07-30-2007, 06:51 PM
"All bedrooms should have a window that is operable for egress in case of an emergency."

Ha! Good addition.

I do think it's worth mentioning the transferable warranty possibility - on one occasion that sentence saved the unit owners in a condo association around $15,000 ...

David Banks
07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks all. Great recommendations. With all of your help I created a masterpiece! Thanks again. Now this is what this Forum is all about not that NACHI crap! :)

contractors-nj
05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah service magic would do the job most of the times. Just learn next time to hire a decent person to install your windows.

Darin Redding
05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Not that you would say this in a report but...

Usually this problem is reduced or eliminated by cleaning the vinyl frame paying particular attention to the fabric strips (weatherstripping) on the operable vent side of the window. After cleaning, apply a dry silicone spray to the fabric strips as well as the surface they slide against.

Lather, rinse and repeat annually.

For the report:

Numerous windows were found to be difficult to open and close. Contact a window company for repairs or possible replacement.
All bedrooms should have a window that is operable for egrees in case of an emergency.Spot on!

Brandon Whitmore
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm curious. How much force is too much. Meaning, when is a window to difficult to operate properly. Are there ASTM, or other testing guidelines to follow? Obviously, inspectors are typically in decent shape from operating all of these windows over the years:D , but what about a frail old woman that needs to exit a window.

This is a serious question by the way. I find myself in grey areas all of the time when I'm not sure what to report.

Matt Fellman
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM
I wonder the exact same thing.... it's also tough when we're leaning out over a couch and bay window while trying to not damage the pictures on the sill.... blah, blah, blah.

I'm sure someone will ream me for this but I'm more leanient on the living room ones. The bedroom windows must be able to be opened easily. And then of course they can easily change from day to day, hot weather vs. cold, etc.

I once did an inspection for a sales rep from Milgard (local window manufacturer - not sure how national they are). Anyhow, they make a product of decent quality. He pretty much said any window that you can't operate with one finger is installed and/or performing improperly. Now, granted this is a sales rep and not an installer. I'm sure the guy that puts them in would have a different spec but it was interesting to hear the guy's idea of a properly functioning window.