PDA

View Full Version : Plastic box in separation wall

Marc M
03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Wouldn't you think a plastic box such as this, would not be allowed in a separation wall ? I dont see it specifically addressed, so is that to say out of default, because it is not type x it is unacceptable?

Darren Miller
03-28-2011, 03:00 AM
In that case, you have to refer back to the IBC section 712. There are 'through penetrations' and 'membrane penetrations'.

Fred Weck
03-28-2011, 06:01 AM
They may have framed a sheetrock box around the plastic box with a fire stop collar around the drain pipe. No way to tell with tearing into the wall though.

Marc M
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
They may have framed a sheetrock box around the plastic box with a fire stop collar around the drain pipe. No way to tell with tearing into the wall though.

Yea, I agree with that.. I completely understand fire stopping in great specificity when it pertains to commercial/public works and all the differnt materials used in that application. This would never fly. Residential is different, however. It would just melt away, BTW, it was hollow in the back side.

Garry Sorrells
03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't you think a plastic box such as this, would not be allowed in a separation wall ? I dont see it specifically addressed, so is that to say out of default, because it is not type x it is unacceptable?

Is there much difference in the washer hook up and the plastic electrical wall outlet trim plates with plastic electrical boxes?
Both are holes in wall filled with plastic.

Randy Haywood
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Marc...

I would ask the location of the box.? Is it in the garage on the separation wall of the House? Or in the laundry on the living side ?

There is a huge difference between a Fire Barrier and a Fire Assembly. Then as you hinted too..... Smoke seals, fire seals, materials, etc.....

Just curious of location

Randy

Marc M
03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Marc...

I would ask the location of the box.? Is it in the garage on the separation wall of the House? Or in the laundry on the living side ?

There is a huge difference between a Fire Barrier and a Fire Assembly. Then as you hinted too..... Smoke seals, fire seals, materials, etc.....

Just curious of location

Randy

Agreed, this is in the garage.

Jerry Peck
03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Okay, from the above post that is on the garage side (not good, but how 'not good' depends on the answer to the next question).

Question: Does California require actual "fire walls" between a garage and a house, or only separation? Or maybe even something in between the two?

A real fire wall (or fire partition) would require the wall to have protected openings on *either* side of the wall, it would not matter if the laundry was in the house against the wall or in the garage against the wall - the same protection would be required.

However, if only a separation wall is required, then the house side could (in theory for the separation wall, disregarding insulation and all the other things) be left with no drywall and only the garage side would require drywall, and only 1/2" regular drywall at that (not even Type X). In this case, the *minimum* wall covering is 1/2" gypsum board, and that laundry box is just a big hole through the garage 1/2" gypsum ... unless a five sided box was constructed which goes around the back side of that plastic box.

Marc M
03-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I believe only seperation.

Imack Collins
03-28-2011, 07:27 PM
I am building a garage/shop with a two bedroom apartment on top of it. This building is attached to an existing garage. This is a single family residence. Regarding the garage/shop fireproofing, I had my doubts about using plastic boxes for the electrical switches and outlets. Called the local inspector and he told me that metal boxes are required for wall penetrations. Of course all four walls in this building would need fireproofing, so all boxes would need to be metallic. Is there any comment anyone would like to add to this or discuss????

Thanks!

Marc M
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I am building a garage/shop with a two bedroom apartment on top of it. This building is attached to an existing garage. This is a single family residence. Regarding the garage/shop fireproofing, I had my doubts about using plastic boxes for the electrical switches and outlets. Called the local inspector and he told me that metal boxes are required for wall penetrations. Of course all four walls in this building would need fireproofing, so all boxes would need to be metallic. Is there any comment anyone would like to add to this or discuss????

Thanks!

IC,
Are they making you put fire suppression in the garage?

Jerry Peck
03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Called the local inspector and he told me that metal boxes are required for wall penetrations.

They make 2 hour rated plastic boxes.

Imack Collins
03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Mark:

No, they only care about walls, ceiling and doors with the required fire retardants. In addition to that smoke alarms and safe wall penetrations. So, now when we talk about wall penetrations safety there are a lot of options, metallic receptacles boxes is one of them, or I can sourround the plastic box with fire blocking behind the wall..! In my case all the 4 walls have to be fire protected since the living quaters are atop.

IC,
Are they making you put fire suppression in the garage?