PDA

View Full Version : Head Slap Moment

Jack Feldmann
07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
I was just reading the latest issue of Professional Deck Builder, specifically the article about Safety Glazing for Safer Decks (pg 40).

While I do check out areas that require safety glass, I did have a moment when I thought that maybe I'm not checking windows from the deck. It's probably something I don't really think about (I just do it automatically) when I'm walking around the house. It just gave me pause when I read the article.

By the way, Deck Builder magazine is a great resource. I think you can get a free subscription by going to deckmagazine.com.

JF

Eric Barker
07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Ouch! Makes my head hurt to think about more to look for during an inspection.

Remember the Outer Limits? David McCullum was in an episode where he was in an experiment to increase his capacity to think, learn and reason. The result was his head began to grow to an enormous size to accommodate his brain's development. Some of you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyway, Jack you're going to have me looking in the mirror more than I should!

Bruce Breedlove
07-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Remember the Outer Limits? David McCullum was in an episode where he was in an experiment to increase his capacity to think, learn and reason. The result was his head began to grow to an enormous size to accommodate his brain's development. Some of you have no idea what I'm talking about.

The Sixth Finger - Originally Aired October 14, 1963. Starring: David McCallum and Jill Haworth. Special Guest Star: Edward Mulhare.

McCallum's character participated in a scientific experiment where his body experienced accelerated evolution. He became what humans (supposedly) will evolve into in another several million years. Not only did McCallum's character develop a huge head (with a correspondingly huge brain) and hideous facial features (by today's standards) he also developed a sixth finger (the purpose of which was not explained).

How do I know all this? I watched this episode just the other day on DVD. 'The OUTER LIMITS - the original series - Volume One'.

Michael Thomas
08-01-2007, 03:00 AM
"The more you know, the more there is to know".

Quantified as Thomas' first law of knowledge:

"In any sphere of knowledge, as the sphere expands your knowledge increases as the surface area, your ignorance increases as the volume"

Bruce Breedlove
08-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hmmmm. It is interesting that the units of measure of knowledge and ignorance are different. (area vs. volume)

Philip Desmarais
08-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, I vaguely remember the large head episode. My concern this evening is that if I look in the mirror I will see a shrunken head. Looking around inspectionnews tonight I came across the title of this thread. I just had to see what the heck a “heap slab movement” was. I’d never heard of that. Time to get new glasses!