PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable / recognized terms

ken horak
04-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I started to post this question in another on going thread but decided to not side track that thread any more then it already has been.

One this board there is often debates over if a term ( word / phrase) is a recognized or accepted term ( word / phrase).

Some say a term ( word/phrase) is fine if it is a trade term that has been used for years. Others say a term is not recognized or acceptable if it is not defined in an "official" code book. And still others say that not all terms are defined in "official" code books,but if a term is used / referenced in an "official" code book it is acceptable.

What makes particular terminology acceptable to be used?
Would it require the terminology to be widely known ( nationwide) as a trade term? Would the terminology need to be defined in an "official" ( accepted)code book?
Would the terminology need to referenced in an "official" ( accepted) code book?

I use the term "official" code book to reference the widely accepted codes published by the ICC and/ or the NFPA as these are the most widely used codes in the nation.

Bruce Ramsey
04-02-2011, 03:02 PM
There are terms that regionally understood and misunderstood outside the region. The term crawlspace is commonly used as a label for the space under a house but apparently some northerners also refer to the space behind a knee wall as a crawlspace.

The problem comes into play when the term has multiple meanings or does not satisfactorily describe the item to different between similar yet but different items.

The common use or slang term may be adequate for general purpose use by laypeople but may not be adequate for detailed technical debates. This forum is generally for use by knowledgeable professionals debating the finer details of technical issues. The more often we use non-slang terms, the less likely for confusion to enter the debate.

Darrel Hood
04-03-2011, 06:36 AM
In my humble opinion, a term is acceptable if it communicates clearly to the intended audience. Therefore, I may consider a term acceptable to communicate with one of my clients and unacceptable to communicate with the inspectors in this forum.

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

John Kogel
04-03-2011, 08:12 AM
In my humble opinion, a term is acceptable if it communicates clearly to the intended audience.
Therefore, I may consider a term acceptable to communicate with one of my clients and unacceptable to communicate with the inspectors in this forum.

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICESGive yourself a pat on the head. Good boy. :D

Eric Barker
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
The more often we use non-slang terms, the less likely for confusion to enter the debate.

I absolutely agree. Professionals generally stay to the terminology that is characteristic of their fields, not terms that a layperson would necessarily understand. I often tell people that I use words that may be unfamiliar to them and that I do so because I want to be exacting in what I say and that if my information, as I wrote it, is given to a qualified contractor there should be no misunderstanding.

I've read plenty of reports from other inspectors that could not be understood because of watered down terminology, poor grammar and lack of proof reading. It's no wonder that some clients can easily become plaintiffs.

Garry Sorrells
04-04-2011, 05:24 AM
I smell a panel - sub panel here somewhere.

Duane Nelson
04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I include a list of definitions for words/terms I use in the report ie: GFCI, soffit/fascia, cricket, closure strips, sub-panel. This separate list goes with every report and helps with the "dumb" questions everyone is scared to ask

C.Johnson
04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
There are terms that regionally understood and misunderstood outside the region. The term crawlspace is commonly used as a label for the space under a house but apparently some northerners also refer to the space behind a knee wall as a crawlspace.

The problem comes into play when the term has multiple meanings or does not satisfactorily describe the item to different between similar yet but different items.

You are Correct Sir...Most around here use the term Crawlspace as to label area under home, but at times it is used to label space behind knee-walls in attic, some homes up here have an access panel to get behind the knee-wall for use as storage space, (if the attic area is finished) but it should be described as Attic Crawlspace.
I am from the South originally, I had to adapt to the Northern way :rolleyes:
I still get, are you from around here? lol... I guess it's the way I talk

Nick Ostrowski
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Every once in a while, somebody will call and describe a house as a duplex which is building with two living units to me. The house ends up being a twin (attached to another house on one side). Some people describe a property as a condo and it actually is a townhouse.

JB Thompson
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
In my humble opinion, a term is acceptable if it communicates clearly to the intended audience. Therefore, I may consider a term acceptable to communicate with one of my clients and unacceptable to communicate with the inspectors in this forum.

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Yes, exactly what medical doctors do.