PDA

View Full Version : Gas Built in Ovens

David Godoy
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Hello, I have a question and that is if Built in Gas ovens need to have exhaust to exterior?

David

Matt Fellman
04-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Overall, good question... it depends on the area. I believe it's largely not reqiured but some local building departments may require it. To be sure you should check with your AHJ and/or the appliance specs for your particular range.

For a little background as to why one may not be required is because a range is generally a temporary use appliance. Mainly, it's not left running when people are asleep like a furnace or water heater would be. And, they typically are run in areas with an abundance of combustion air so CO emmission is unlikely. In short, if you pass out while cooking... someone will soon be hungry and come looking for their dinner and find you :)

David Godoy
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Thank You very much, Matt:)

Jim Luttrall
04-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I have NEVER seen a gas oven in a residence that was vented to outdoors. I suppose it is possible for larger commercial style or dedicated special use products but I have never seen it vented except maybe as part of a cooktop/oven combination that happened to be vented with a hood.

Matt Fellman
04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I have NEVER seen a gas oven in a residence that was vented to outdoors. I suppose it is possible for larger commercial style or dedicated special use products but I have never seen it vented except maybe as part of a cooktop/oven combination that happened to be vented with a hood.

ooooo.... I just realized I misread (assumed) the question to mean ranges. It doesn't really change much but I agree with Jim L that it's very rare that an oven only would be directly vented outside... even the ranges are never "directly" vented. Just an exhaust hood.