PDA

View Full Version : Light switch next to shower

mathew stouffer
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
House built in 81, single family home. Is the location of this switch acceptable.

Rick Cantrell
04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Is the location of this switch acceptable.

yes

chris mcintyre
04-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Previously posted by someone here.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
It is outside of the tub or shower SPACE, and as pictured is on the other side of protection from shower spray (curtain, enclosure, partition) it is fine in that regard.

Is the switch mounted in a properly mounted, secured and supported vox, assume so. Hopefully the switch is not operating a fan.;)

The tub or shower ZONE is for luminiares, different code section entirely.

I assume this is not a manufactured home.

Question Mat:

Photo is rather cropped, something appears to the left - is the shower footprint stall/opening/approach complying as to size minimums and clearances minimums for a shower stall, from the UPC applicable to your jurisdiction at the time?

mathew stouffer
04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
HG yeah it was a decent size pan. What was the min size in 81, same at today?

John Kogel
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Funny thing is that has never been allowed in Canada, light switch, fan switch, whatever, must be 39 " (1 meter) away from the edge of the shower or tub.

The CEC is more lenient than the NEC on kitchen receptacles and AFCI rules, but has never in the last 30 years or more, allowed a switch beside the tub. That goes for the bathroom receptacle as well. It is pretty common in the real small bathrooms for the switches to be outside the door.

John Kogel
04-05-2011, 08:16 PM
HG yeah it was a decent size pan. What was the min size in 81, same at today?People were smaller in those days. I know I was. I think it was 30". :D

Jim Port
04-06-2011, 07:20 AM
HG, Hopefully the switch is not operating a fan.;)

What do you see as the problem if the switch did operate the fan? It would still be allowed in the same location.