PDA

View Full Version : 2 10 rule

mathew stouffer
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Wouldn't this violate the 2 10 rule. Sorry dont have a better pic, but the flue is inside here. Home owner said, "sometimes the fire backdrafts when it is stormy.;)

Thomas Jones
04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Interesting pic, I cant recall seeing anything like it, but I believe you're right. "Top of chimney must be at least 2' higher than anything within 10' of it, including ridge, dormers, parapets, etc. Chimneys not constructed to those standards may experience back-draft problems." I believe that custom chimney job fits here. Looks like it would do a great job of keeping the vermin out.:D

Marc M
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow....

John Kogel
04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Wouldn't this violate the 2 10 rule. Sorry dont have a better pic, but the flue is inside here. Home owner said, "sometimes the fire backdrafts when it is stormy.But those are Good pictures! I like #3, kind of surreal. :D
Are those solar panels on the roofs?
Roofs or rooves?

Yes, the person that designed that chimney should be ordered to remove that monstrosity stone by faux stone. The builder/mason can get up there and help him.

neal lewis
04-14-2011, 03:54 AM
But those are Good pictures! I like #3, kind of surreal. :D
Are those solar panels on the roofs? Looks like a green tarp to me. Actually, metal roofing.
Yeah, I like the pic of the mountains looking right through the chimney.

Eric Barker
04-14-2011, 07:25 AM
For me the biggest concern is all that water vapor from the vent is going to wreak havoc on the chase's wood work. Even if the vent can draft properly the wood is doomed.

mathew stouffer
04-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Its a wood burnin fireplace with a gas log

mathew stouffer
04-14-2011, 08:34 AM
THe roof is copper. These places are a mess and they are almost a grand per foot

Bob Harper
04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Looks like a combustible chase/ shroud extended over and around the listed chimney termination. Since this shroud is not listed, it is illegal. This is a HUGE fire and CO hazard!!! This must be torn off and rebuilt per the listed instructions of the fireplace. The gas logs vs. wood is immaterial.

More job security for Dale Feb....

Rick Hurst
04-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I like how the driveway slopes towards the garage also...Great planning there.

Marc M
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Looks like a combustible chase/ shroud extended over and around the listed chimney termination. Since this shroud is not listed, it is illegal. This is a HUGE fire and CO hazard!!! This must be torn off and rebuilt per the listed instructions of the fireplace. The gas logs vs. wood is immaterial.

More job security for Dale Feb....

Agreed.

mathew stouffer
04-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Bob,
Agreed. Here is what has happened. The builder installed gas logs in all of these and I have seen this shroud in this community before so I have been calling it out. As time has passed people are removing the gas log and burning wood. Now the house is filling up with smoke, where as before no one noticed the back draft with the gas logs, but when the house fills up with smoke it is pretty obvious;)

Bob Harper
04-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Matthew, this is so bad maybe you should contact the Fire Marshal's office before someone dies either from CO or fire. Its that bad.

Matt Bartels
04-15-2011, 06:59 AM
That is terrible. Def point it out.

I also noticed that the stone looks terrible. You can see the lath around the vent.

mathew stouffer
04-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Oh it's been pointed out, several times. They have had problems with it, they know about the backdrafting.

Stephen Tilleux
04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Matthew, this is so bad maybe you should contact the Fire Marshal's office before someone dies either from CO or fire. Its that bad.
Yes, This.

That is one of the worst shroud / chase covers I have ever seen. The fact that anyone in the chain of builders / approvals thought that it was ok to install that.....
For me the biggest issue is that these houses (the ones like the thumbs) may burn to the ground because of this.

Also for the record it's the " 3' 2' and 10' rule" 3'' above AND 2' above anything above within 10'
My 2c

Randy Aldering
04-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Absolutely, and I second the comment about contacting local officials to have this corrected. Then, at least, you have done the right thing. It would not hurt to advise the current occupant not to use the fireplace, as it is unsafe.

Larry Morrison
04-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Bob,
Agreed. Here is what has happened. The builder installed gas logs in all of these and I have seen this shroud in this community before so I have been calling it out. As time has passed people are removing the gas log and burning wood. Now the house is filling up with smoke, where as before no one noticed the back draft with the gas logs, but when the house fills up with smoke it is pretty obvious;)
I'll bet the Gas supplier would help in getting this corrected. They get a bad rap every time someone croaks from CO. They will probably come out and do their own inspections, give the customers a warning, and will probably even turn off the service if they don't correct the problems.

Phil Brody
04-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Well it might have gotten by for a gas fireplace but wood burning is a different animal. Can't I just put a boat hitch on my Honda Accord and pull a 40' Sea Ray ?

Larry Morrison
04-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Well it might have gotten by for a gas fireplace but wood burning is a different animal. Can't I just put a boat hitch on my Honda Accord and pull a 40' Sea Ray ?
Yes! "Yes We can (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O69oRLQwLZc)"--BO