PDA

View Full Version : Stove Exhaust Hood

Steve Vance
08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I inspected a new home today in an area where ther is no AHJ and found no exhaust hood for an electric stove top and oven.

Would this be required and where can I get documentation to back it up?

I love reading the post from you guys and one day will be able to help a newbie also.

Thanks again.

Steve Vance

David Banks
08-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Not required but good recommendation. Try this if you like.

RANGE VENTING: Recommend kitchen range vent to exterior. Stoves, whether electric or gas, cause aerosolized moisture and fat droplets that should be exhausted to the outdoors. Range hoods shall discharge outdoors through a single wall duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be airtight and shall be equipped with a back draft damper.

Jerry Peck
08-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Would this be required and where can I get documentation to back it up?

Not required, but a good idea.

I say "not required" as in 'not required by code', but, read the manufacturer's installation instructions ... many of them *require* a vent, and the code *requires* all appliances to be installed in accordance with the code AND the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Bob Elliott
08-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Most of the places I see are ventless.In either case alway's make sure the blower is facing the vent if there is one and back towards you if ventless.
If it is ventless I always pull the filter to make sure it is a "charcol filter "as the ones that come with the hoods are useless in a ventless situation.

Jerry Peck
08-03-2007, 06:52 PM
If it is ventless I always pull the filter to make sure it is a "charcol filter "as the ones that come with the hoods are useless in a ventless situation.

Ahhh ... BUT ... the ones which 'come with' the ventless hoods are the ones "listed for" the ventless hoods, and are the ones the ventless hoods are "listed for use with" ...

Besides, the ONLY purpose of the charcoal is as an "odor" filter ...

The ONLY purpose of the filter which comes with the hood is as a "grease" filter.

"Odor" has nothing to do with the requirements of a range top ventless hood, "grease" does.

I would be careful how you say what you say about them.

Bob Elliott
08-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Jerry...As A guy who spent six years installing appliances for SEARS, I can assure you Range hoods are all provided with rotational blowers .What this means Jerry is that they can all and I am including Micro hoods here be rotated to be vented or ventless.
As far as your state ment about the filters which come with the units being for grease you are partly correct since some packaging includes both.
Jerry the reason I said I pull the filter if you reread what I said is that you can be sure that the charcol filter is behind it.
So next time you inspect one of these things make sure you check all of the above.
Now these new ventless dryers being made by Bosch.Oy that is another story.

Jerry Peck
08-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Jerry the reason I said I pull the filter if you reread what I said is that you can be sure that the charcol filter is behind it.

*I* just recently (about 3 months ago) installed a new range hood, ventless, in the kitchen I just totally re-did, there was no charcoal filter, just the grease filter.

I also know that virtually all range hoods can be installed vented or ventless as most all (many not all) not come with removable panels for vented hoods. Back when I first installed those ranges hoods - about 35 years ago, and many times since, there have been changes made. Back then, you could order the hood 'vented' or ventless', now, most come adaptable for your installation.

Bob Elliott
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
If you are looking at a 35 year old hood you may have more pressing concerns than this micro subject.
Just remember to remove the dead squirrel.LOL