PDA

View Full Version : laundry room venting

Randall Clark
04-15-2011, 06:07 PM
When I say laundry room, I mean a room that is a separate room much like a typical master bedroom closet. Nothing else in there - no water heater, furnace, etc.

Seems like around '06 or '08 IRC mandated passive venting of the laundry room. I cannot find this in my book though; read about it somewhere. I typically see a passive vent at the top of a wall and sometimes the laundry room is conditioned. In rare cases I see no passive venting but the room is conditioned.

Can anyone direct me to the language that addresses this?

James Duffin
04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
NC Fuel Gas Code

[M] 614.5 Makeup air. Where a closet is designed for the
installation of a clothes dryer, an opening having an area of not
less than 100 square inches (645 mm2) for makeup air shall be
provided in the closet enclosure, or makeup air shall be provided
by other approved means.

Randall Clark
04-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Thanks. That is it.

What would other approved means be if the 100sq inches were not met? Would just having an HVAC supply register in there work? That would not be as functional in my opinion as a 100sq in opening.

James Duffin
04-16-2011, 04:51 AM
In NC a supply register would not satisfy the requirement.

Eric Barker
04-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Sure can! It'd be the code that the local jurisdiction was using when the home was built.

Eric Barker
04-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Sure can! It'd be the code that the local jurisdiction was using when the home was built.

Ross Neag
04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
RC,

Supply vent will not work. Must be dedicated make up air whether from outside via a damper that is connected to the firing of the appliance with integral appliance lock out or a passive damper/vent that satisfies the 100 sq inches.

Interestingly, are well allowed to use the perimeter door openings as net free area? For some large gaps or undercuts this could come close to same area (just not dedicated).