PDA

View Full Version : Worn out 2-wire duplex receptacles

Robert Mattison
04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Can any member direct to a site where they speak about worn female
receptacle that can no longer hold tight the male plug.

I need facts, to show a customer. Thanks.

Benjamin Thompson
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Can any member direct to a site where they speak about worn female
receptacle that can no longer hold tight the male plug.

I need facts, to show a customer. Thanks.

I am having this same issue in my marriage, I'm glad somebody finally brought it up. I am interested in all replies. If your customer doesn't believe you, give him 20 years.

Jim Port
04-19-2011, 05:00 AM
Robert, you could just point out that loose connections cause heat to build up and create a hazard.

Corey Friedman
04-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Hello Robert,

That is addressed in NFPA 73. I don't have my copy in front of me right now but will post it later.

Sincerely,

Corey

BARRY ADAIR
04-19-2011, 06:43 AM
http://communities.leviton.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/2143-102-1-3291/Spec%20RTT99.pdf

you'll have to read down for dwelling info

NFPA 73, 1996 Edition
Chapter 2 Section 2-10.7 General Requirements
Receptacle contacts shall have acceptable blade retention when tested with a listed retention tester.

dana1028
04-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Hello Robert,

That is addressed in NFPA 73. I don't have my copy in front of me right now but will post it later.

Sincerely,

Corey

For the record - NFPA is rarely adopted by a local municipality and thus is not a code requirement and should not be used as a legitimate source citing an alleged noncompliant situation.

Corey Friedman
04-20-2011, 04:08 PM
For the record - NFPA is rarely adopted by a local municipality and thus is not a code requirement and should not be used as a legitimate source citing an alleged noncompliant situation.

Hi Dana,

The NFPA is an organization and has not adopted anywhere.

Various NFPA codes and standards that they publish are adopted. I'm not sure I follow what you are saying.

The OP said nothing about code compliance. The OP asked for a reference and I provided one. Are you saying that you don't consider the NFPA a credible source (regardless of a particular document being adopted locally)?

The OP said nothing about this being a code battle.

Sincerely,

Corey