PDA

View Full Version : Filterless HVAC units??

Jeremy Holmes
04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
We purchased a home approx 14 months ago knowing the furnace/ac unit would need to be replaced. What are some important things I should be looking for when I go to replace these items? I have heard they are coming out with new furnace units that are filterless? Are they worth looking into?

Eric Barker
04-20-2011, 05:39 AM
What are some important things I should be looking for when I go to replace these items?

Stay away from the newest and greatest things that are not tried and true - unless you don't mind the role of a guinea pig.

Markus Keller
04-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Filterless probably isn't a quite an accurate term, probably advertising. They may be referring to systems that don't use fabric filters. One has been able to install a non-fabric, i.e. filterless system for years by installing an electronic filter.
Electronic/UV/infrared/etc filters come in various configurations, all need some sort of annual maintenance or cleaning that I am aware of. The cost of these units varies but is typically a bit high. Trane has some pretty innovative items I've looked into in the past.
As far as the furnace and AC, go for the highest efficiency you can get. On the heat side a modulating furnace cost a bit more than a regular 90+ but not that much. If you go with a modulating furnace make sure the guy has installed them before. Wiring and Stat are a bit different. If the guy doesn't know that it can be a really stupid little problem. 16 SEER AC does cost a bit more than a 12 or 14.
Buy brands that are local to your area so parts will be readily available. You may need to do some duct resizing depending on various things.
Try HVACtalk.com for more info. Good luck

Dom D'Agostino
04-20-2011, 06:11 AM
What are some important things I should be looking for when I go to replace these items?

Pick the HVAC contractor first, then pick the appliance. The person doing the install is more important than you realize.

Garry Sorrells
04-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Jeremy,
Before you sign any contract have the contractor perform a Manual J. A Manual J is a heating and cooling sizing report . Get a copy of that report for your records. Have the results mentioned in the contract body.

New equipment in very dependent on proper sizing to the house.

Question the contractor on the sizing of the existing duct work.
Have that stated in the contract also, as to the existing duct work is properly sized for the equipment being installed.

Like most things the higher the efficiency the lower tolerances of operation (more things can go wrong). Make sure that the installer can service the equipment, also make sure that there are others in your area that can service the equipment if the original installer is out of business. 30 or 40 years in business does not man they will not be out of business tomorrow.

James Duffin
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
We purchased a home approx 14 months ago knowing the furnace/ac unit would need to be replaced. What are some important things I should be looking for when I go to replace these items? I have heard they are coming out with new furnace units that are filterless? Are they worth looking into?

You didn't say what type of gas you are using but if it's propane and natural gas is not available I would switch to a heat pump. LP gas is the most expensive way to heat at the moment in my area. It is about the same as straight electric heat.

Jeremy Holmes
04-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Yea, it is natural gas, sorry.

I just didn't want to be caught up in the "latest and greatest" if it wasn't worth it. Has anyone ever searched on angies list (http://www.angieslist.com/) or something similar to find a reputable hvac installer around here? Thanks alot for the information guys, really helpful!

Ted Menelly
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Yea, it is natural gas, sorry.

I just didn't want to be caught up in the "latest and greatest" if it wasn't worth it. I will search angies list or something similar to see if I can find a reputable hvac installer around here. Thanks alot for the information guys, really helpful!

Your unit has an evaporator coil in it for the AC. This coil is surrounded by fins. Fins will catch and collect dirt and pollen and dog hair etc and eventually get blocked. There is no such thing as a filter-less unit. Even if they devise such a think with dust and debris being knocked down some how and collected then there is still a filter as such and will need cleaning. No matter how you look at it the air needs cleaning before going back into the system and of course circulated throughout your home.