PDA

View Full Version : Missing Attic Isulation in Texas

liz dorn
04-21-2011, 06:27 AM
I am a home owner in Texas who recently found out that my home built in 2004 was missing insulation in the attic. We were absolutely floored. Needless to say, I called them up and within 2 days they were out installing insulation. I have asked for a full re-inspection of my home since the company that originally performed the inspection dropped the ball. The company was provided by them in 2004. In addition, I asked that they also check my walls for insulation. I have also told them I will be seeking a claim for reimbursement of funds lost due to high cost energy bills from 2004 to current, bills incurred on my AC due to breakage, and any other findings in the re-inspection. I was at the time a first time home buyer unaware of what to ask in 2004. Now things are different after working in the mortgage business for a few years. :mad:

What other items should I consider or other actions I should take? I am worried that other homes in my area built during the boom were slapped together with major issues that have gone unnoticed.

Nick Ostrowski
04-21-2011, 06:53 AM
My main advice would be to choose your own inspector and not let the company who did the original inspection do it again. They aren't going to want to hang themselves if other things turn up. But still let the original company know what was found if it appears there were things they should have seen. Should insualtion have been installed? Yes. But you'll want to check on statutes of limitation for Texas if you plan to take things further and pursue litigation. You're going back 7 years to 2004 which is quite some time.

liz dorn
04-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Found out that the builder is not using the same company anymore. With that said, they have not hesitated thus far when I have made my requests. I will be letting them know today after they provide re-inspection that I will have someone take a second look.

I am now wondering if other stuff has occurred since they are responding within less than a day to my demands even if the home is now 7 yrs old.

Insulation installed yesterday and they are also going to ensure they installed correctly.

Nick Ostrowski
04-21-2011, 07:06 AM
They may not be using the same company anymore for inspections but the company is still one they have chosen. Definitely get your own inspector. There are a number of Texas inspectors who frequent this board. Maybe some of them are in your area and would able to assist you.

Darrel Hood
04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Liz,
If you will identify your location specifically, I am sure one of us Texas inspectors can be helpful.

Thank you,

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

liz dorn
04-21-2011, 07:17 AM
San Antonio

Jeremy Holmes
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I think that if your home didn't have insulation in some spots, I wonder what else they could have missed. It is good that they are working with you, and them to reimburse your heating bills is a good start. There should be plenty of contractors out there that can help you out here. Have you looked into using angies list (http://www.angieslist.com/) to find a contractor?

Ted Menelly
04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
I am a home owner in Texas who recently found out that my home built in 2004 was missing insulation in the attic. We were absolutely floored. Needless to say, I called them up and within 2 days they were out installing insulation. I have asked for a full re-inspection of my home since the company that originally performed the inspection dropped the ball. The company was provided by them in 2004. In addition, I asked that they also check my walls for insulation. I have also told them I will be seeking a claim for reimbursement of funds lost due to high cost energy bills from 2004 to current, bills incurred on my AC due to breakage, and any other findings in the re-inspection. I was at the time a first time home buyer unaware of what to ask in 2004. Now things are different after working in the mortgage business for a few years. :mad:

What other items should I consider or other actions I should take? I am worried that other homes in my area built during the boom were slapped together with major issues that have gone unnoticed.

If someone else had an inspection performed on the home then it was for them and not you. His findings coming back on him for an inspection he did for someone else is a pretty big stretch. Unless this person did the inspection directly for you but it was someone else that paid them and the inspection was in your name and not the person that paid them. It starts getting about involved as to who was responsible for what once multiple parties are involved.

Jim Luttrall
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Liz, in Texas, attic insulation is one of the last things to be done and not hard to have an otherwise first rate job done on the rest of the house.
Definitely hire your own inspector to perform an inspection but don't freak out, blown-in insulation is one of the easiest things to miss by the builder since the insulators are usually the last man in except for the inspector.
It might be good to find out if your house was inspected by the city and had all the final inspections done while still in good with your builder.

It sounds like you were and maybe still are a little weak on understanding the procedure and inter acting of Builders, Municipal inspectors and Home inspectors. Of the three I mentioned, only one gets paid to watch out for your personal interests!

Bob Spermo
04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Liz,

Give me (Bob) a call and I will help you out. I have been a licensed inspector for 12 years. I am also an energy rater and licensed HVAC contractor. 210 385-1209. I live in Helotes.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
liz

did you attend the inspection when it was performed and did you get a report??

always have a new home inspected by a certified HI.

GOOD LUCK

CVF

Rick Hurst
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
You've been in the home since 2004 and never been in the attic space?

You must have plenty of storage elsewhere to use and hopefully your return air filter is not in the attic space.:D

rick