PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Wiring

Stephen G Sheldon
04-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but the attached photo doesn't look right to me. Is this acceptable or is my instinct right?

Lou Romano
04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Did you post this as a joke?

This is NOT acceptable in any way! No way POCO hooked this up, it was done by someone without a conscience.

Where's the weatherhead?
Where's the Main disconnect?
Where's the meter?

This needs immediate attention from a licensed electrician.

Jim Port
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Is that the utility overhead or a feeder going to an outbuilding?

If that is the overhead supplying the electric to the house it would be very hard to comply with the code requirement to keep the unfused service conductors as short as practical after entering the building.

Can you supply more info?

Stephen G Sheldon
04-30-2011, 02:52 PM
This is the main overhead wiring to the home. It runs about five or six feet in the attic and then drops down the interior wall to the meter.

Jerry Peck
04-30-2011, 05:50 PM
This is the main overhead wiring to the home. It runs about five or six feet in the attic and then drops down the interior wall to the meter.

That is completely wrong.

The meter is inside the house? I suspect the house has had an addition added to it and that the meter was originally on the outside wall of the house.

An electrical contractor needs to make corrections as soon as possible.

Stephen G Sheldon
04-30-2011, 06:18 PM
The meter is on the outside. Its just that the main wiring must runs down the inside of the wall where it then attaches to the meter. There is no conduit visible on the exterior of the home. This is a house built in 1957 if that helps. I apologize if I;m not making this very clear.

paul hardy
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Stephen, I see you are from atlanta with that said a lot of services in houses of that era were installed by Georgia Power. They would run the unprotected cable thru the structure down an exterior wall to the meter then continue to the service panel. They would put stickers on the panel that said it was property of Georgia Power and had to repair and replace a lot of equipment thus they stopped this practice.

With all that said electricians would copy their installation until the local jurisdictions corrected them and required overcurrent protection prior to the cable passing thru the structure.

As for your picture it is missing the clamp on SEU type weather head but other than that it is typical for that era around here. Still not correct but typical.

Daniel Rogers
05-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I've seen this several times. It's just antiquated wiring methods and I report it as such.