PDA

View Full Version : Crown vent?

Marc M
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Is this a crown vent? Just checking.

Scott Patterson
05-02-2011, 05:07 AM

Well, the vent should come out of the crown (top) of the trap. That one really is on the side, so I would say that it is not a "proper" crown vent.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes, absolutely, and is absolutely illegal. The waste arm to the waste stack/vent connection is illegal.

Well, the vent should come out of the crown (top) of the trap. That one really is on the side, so I would say that it is not a "proper" crown vent.

Huh? (no need to insert comment about real ... as is so typically common for S.P. to do). There is no such thing as a "proper crown vent", crown vents are expressly illegal, as are crown-vented traps.

What do you mean "that one really is on the side" what the heck do you mean? If you possibly meant that if there was a slightly higher offset it would techically be an S vent, then I'd agree, but that has nothing to do with "on the side" it has to do with if the outlet of the waste arm to the waste stack vent is below the hydraulic gradient of the arm, or in this case fitting.

The developed horizontal (lateral) distance (trap arm) is (FAR) less than two pipe diameters before venting (in fact its zero)- the vent (waste stack vent) is quite literally and typically a crown vent, just not a dry one, the trap to the right is crown-vented. The "crown" pertains to the weir of the trap pictured to the right.

It is absolutely, and without a doubt a crown-vented trap, with the connection of the non-existant waste arm outlet with the waste stack vent just barely above the hydraulic gradient of the fitting.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22042-crown-vent-059-small-.jpg

Scott Patterson
05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Yes, absolutely, and is absolutely illegal. The waste arm to the waste stack/vent connection is illegal.

Huh? (no need to insert comment about real ... as is so typically common for S.P. to do). There is no such thing as a "proper crown vent", crown vents are expressly illegal, as are crown-vented traps.

What do you mean "that one really is on the side" what the heck do you mean? If you possibly meant that if there was a slightly higher offset it would techically be an S vent, then I'd agree, but that has nothing to do with "on the side" it has to do with if the outlet of the waste arm to the waste stack vent is below the hydraulic gradient of the arm, or in this case fitting.

The developed horizontal (lateral) distance (trap arm) is (FAR) less than two pipe diameters before venting (in fact its zero)- the vent (waste stack vent) is quite literally and typically a crown vent, just not a dry one, the trap to the right is crown-vented. The "crown" pertains to the weir of the trap pictured to the right.

It is absolutely, and without a doubt a crown-vented trap, with the connection of the non-existant waste arm outlet with the waste stack vent just barely above the hydraulic gradient of the fitting.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22042-crown-vent-059-small-.jpg

Dude, you need to chill before you blow! A person your age needs to know their limitations...

Let's look at what Marc asked in his OP. Is this a crow vent?

I think I answered what he asked. I never said that a crown vent is OK.

On the other hand and as usual, you tried to impress or is that bully everyone with your knowledge. It's getting kind of old.

Peace and Love!! :)

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Dude, you need to chill before you blow! A person your age needs to know their limitations...

Let's look at what Marc asked in his OP. Is this a crow vent?

I think I answered what he asked. I never said that a crown vent is OK.

On the other hand and as usual, you tried to impress or is that bully everyone with your knowledge. It's getting kind of old.

Peace and Love!! :)

Hmmm. You "think" you answered what he asked. Well, there was nothing in your post that answered CORRECTLY about anything. The answer to his question is YES.

Lets take a look at what you posted.

Well, the vent should come out of the crown (top) of the trap.

Okay, there is no "should" about it, your statement is absolutely and completely wrong. There is nothing remotely correct about that statement.

That one really is on the side, so I would say that it is not a "proper" crown vent.

There is nothing about the vent, trap, fittings, pipes, anything, that is "on the side". There is nothing AT ALL about any part of that statement, or the one prior that is even remotely true.

So you didn't answer correctly, or provide any actual accurate information. What you did do was spout two useless statements that are both untrue and meanlingless, and impled the answer to Marc M's question was no, which is of course WRONG.

Its plain and simple:

IT IS a CROWN-VENT configuration, it is classic, there is nothing pictured that indicates anything other than a crown-vented trap pictured; and

IT IS equally obvious you don't know anything at all about the subject, no matter how general or narrow the subject is defined in the instant discussion; including what or where the "crown" of discussion is.

Perhaps if you weren't so full of yourself, so focused on your smear campaigns, and so green-eyed and bitter at having been exposed, disqualified and dismissed, when you've overreached; you might actually learn something.

The crown indicated is the "crown" of the (trap) weir, not that you know what "weir" means. The crown weir is the spill point over and out of the trap.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22046d1304377389-crown-vent-marcmcrownvent.jpg

Jerry Peck
05-02-2011, 04:05 PM

It is not "absolutely, and without a doubt" a crown vented trap.

It is also not "The developed horizontal (lateral) distance (trap arm) is (FAR) less than two pipe diameters before venting (in fact its zero)".

It looks like it PROBABLY is a crown vent as it looks like there is less than 2 pipe diameters between the weir of the trap and the vent - BUT ... there MIGHT BE 2 pipe diameters there ... but PROBABLY not.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
It is not "absolutely, and without a doubt" a crown vented trap.

It is also not "The developed horizontal (lateral) distance (trap arm) is (FAR) less than two pipe diameters before venting (in fact its zero)".

It looks like it PROBABLY is a crown vent as it looks like there is less than 2 pipe diameters between the weir of the trap and the vent - BUT ... there MIGHT BE 2 pipe diameters there ... but PROBABLY not.

Again, there is no MIGHT BE about it. Obviously another "without a clue" regarding trade sizes and fittings.

There is NO WAY there is anything CLOSE to two pipe diameters between the crown weir of the trap and the closest vent opening in the fitting at the stack. There is NO "MIGHT BE" about it, NONE.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY and WITHOUT A DOUBT, A CROWN VENTED CONFIGURATION, PERIOD.

Scott Patterson
05-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Somebody please post a "third party" picture of a crown vent before HG runs out of Polygrip or Depends!!

Marc M
05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Man..., you guys crack me up.:D And thanks HG for the illustration.
I do appreciate the feedback, it helps a great deal.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Illustrations of prohibited traps State of Illinois Code link for a non-copyrighted public domain material.

HERE: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/07700890ZZ9996deR.html

See crown vented trap at lower left:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22061d1304398299-crown-vent-image001.gif

Scott P can then perhaps also read the illustration note and then review second image diagram of a general TRAP (and the crown weir):

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/plumbing-system-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22062d1304398299-crown-vent-image001.jpg

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
You're welcome Marc.

Rocket Gal
04-03-2015, 11:00 PM
This was helpful Thanks.

Raymond Wand
04-04-2015, 04:13 PM
This was helpful Thanks.

Who is Rocket Gal? We use real names on the forum out of courtesy.

Billy Stephens
04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Somebody please post a "third party" picture of a crown vent before HG runs out of Polygrip or Depends!!

This Might Help.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1LwCh9WWc

Loren Sanders Sr.
04-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Don't know what all of the fuss is about. From what see, as long as the stand pipe is legal length and the vent goes through the roof or ties into another vent upstairs properly, you are good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know what all of the fuss is about. From what see, as long as the stand pipe is legal length and the vent goes through the roof or ties into another vent upstairs properly, you are good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -