PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it....

Matt Fellman
05-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Came across this outlet today and I can't wrap my head around it. My 3-prong tester initially gave a reading of the two outer lights (hot/grd reverse) which seems virtually impossible so I investigated further with the following findings:

Scott Patterson
05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Came across this outlet today and I can't wrap my head around it. My 3-prong tester initially gave a reading of the two outer lights (hot/grd reverse) which seems virtually impossible so I investigated further with the following findings:

That is why those 3 light testers are not all that great!! Looks like the ground is Hot. If it was a bootleg ground it would show as grounded, I think....

Jerry Peck
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Both testers are showing the same thing: hot/ground reversed.

Unusual, yes, but not unheard of (which is why it checks for that).

Jim Port
05-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I believe the 4th photo is showing correct wiring.

Matt Fellman
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I believe the 4th photo is showing correct wiring.

Yes... that's what was so weird. When I pulled the outlet off the metal box it read okay. Also, it wasn't gnd/hot reverse at the outlet. The wires coming/going were properly installed (white-silver, black-gold + ground).

Also... how would a hot/grd reverse even be possible? Wouldn't it just instantly short?

Randy Aldering
05-03-2011, 07:42 AM
My guess is that outlet is not where the problem is. Lurking in the shadows is a junction box, light switch, or other fixture that is mis-wired.

George Wells
05-10-2011, 09:52 AM

The problem is that the testers you are using have very high input impedance. Use a low input impedance solenoid tester such as a Wiggy. You'll get consistently reliable results.

Instructions for using a Wiggy to do basic electrical tests:

It's a Wiggy Wiggy World (http://www.bestinspectors.net/education/articles/wiggy.htm)

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-10-2011, 04:55 PM
JP

please explain your post. the last picture shows a good circuit.

thanks

cvf

Jerry Peck
05-10-2011, 05:10 PM
JP

Charlie,

I was referring to this:

My 3-prong tester initially gave a reading of the two outer lights (hot/grd reverse) which seems virtually impossible so I investigated further with the following findings:

... and the first 3 photos ... which show a reversed hot/ground wired receptacle outlet.

Matt said: "My 3-prong tester initially gave a reading of the two outer lights (hot/grd reverse)", and the last photo shows something else, so I went with what he said "My 3-prong tester initially gave ... of the two outer lights ... ".

Jim Port
05-10-2011, 05:12 PM
JP

thanks

cvf

I agree. My post was refering to this one.

Both testers are showing the same thing: hot/ground reversed.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
THANKS JP