PDA

View Full Version : Any idea the intent.

mathew stouffer
05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Was this an attemp to seal cracks in a foundation wall. House built in 06. House is located on a hillside and this is the utility room with a driveway above the area.

Eric Barker
05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I think that you're correct - it was an attempt.

mathew stouffer
05-05-2011, 06:24 PM
LOL. Looks like a 1/5 of jack and an account at home depot

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
matt

are you sure that house was built in 2006?

that looks like a large copper pipe--and i know at the cost of copper these days--the builder didn't install that

cvf

James Duffin
05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Are the cracks on the low side of the hill? Maybe the house has hill creep?

Robert Slight
05-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Nice job. Looks professional. Seller disclosure: "Built-in Basement Coat Rack".

John Lindley-Howard
05-06-2011, 02:45 AM
LOL. Looks like a 1/5 of jack and an account at home depot

I think Matthew hit the nail on the head!!

Raymond Wand
05-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Not an uncommon repair method for concrete foundation repair. Looks like it could be polyurethane as opposed to epoxy.

Rick Cantrell
05-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Looks like it's time to call in "John".

He's a bit foul mouthed, but he knows his "chitt".;)

Andy Bailey
05-06-2011, 06:22 AM
I love how they left the tubes from the cans of great stuff in the wall to better show exactly how many cans they sprayed in the cracks.

mathew stouffer
05-06-2011, 06:41 AM
The house was built in 07 not 06. She's a beaut clark.

Jim Luttrall
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Not an uncommon repair method for concrete foundation repair. Looks like it could be polyurethane as opposed to epoxy.
Agreed,
Check out epoxy or injected resin wall repairs. I think Simpson carries a line. The remaining injection nozzles are the clue here. From what I understand that is actually considered a structural repair for concrete walls.

Adhesives ~ Simpson Strong-Tie Anchor Systems® (http://www.simpsonanchors.com/catalog/adhesives/index.html)

Sandie Hastings
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
matt

are you sure that house was built in 2006?

that looks like a large copper pipe--and i know at the cost of copper these days--the builder didn't install that

cvf

That copper pipe services the fire sprinkler system.

Raymond Wand
05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
This type of repair is always for non structural cracks which leak. Very common repair method up here.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-06-2011, 04:44 PM
SANDIE

wow how did you know that. did i miss that in post.

thanks

cvf

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
sandie

i didn't open that last picture, or i would have known that--brain fart over here

cvf

mathew stouffer
05-08-2011, 07:53 AM
The copper line was also for the water line, ran the length of the home. Maybe that is why the bank owns it now;)

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Mat,Even with the limited information you have provided photographically and description, this is potentially and likely to be a "mine field" "pandora's box" situation. Most especially with an as-is REO.A visual cursory examination likely insufficient and at best a hypothosis. Site and plans review, core sampling both geologically and made structures, destructive testing, calculations, etc. beyond the scope of HI and frankly most structural engineers not dually qualified in geo.Tread carefully in your reporting strong language for geo-technical and SE.OW vehicle travel proximity, movement, a host of issues/causes/damages/failures possible. UnKwn if orignal site was properly surveyed, analyized, engineered, designed, and executed, in the first place.

mathew stouffer
05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
HG, agree and all front, built into a hillside. Recommended further evaluation to cover my butt.

David Valley
05-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Looks like a typical application to seal cracks in the foundation to prevent seepage. I see this type of application several times a year.

I simply advise my Buyers to obtain the paperwork for this work to see if the guarantee (from leaks) is transferable.

Door Guy
05-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Yes it's a foundation crack repair. Here is a link to one product so you know what it is. Foundation Crack Repair Products (http://www.emecole.com/categories/Foundation-Crack-Repair-Products/?gclid=COTDs9rj2qgCFRx3gwod1HtzBA)

Raymond Wand
05-09-2011, 05:04 AM
If there is any movement of the house there should be other clues, cracks on opposing walls, non vertical or bowed walls, corner cracks.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-09-2011, 06:55 AM
If there is any movement of the house there should be other clues, cracks on opposing walls, non vertical or bowed walls, corner cracks.

As pictured, although not at all necessarily; however not what was being discussed, Mat's area not sediment flatlands note his location. Re-read original description & Mat's follow-up posts and note pattern at uphill intersecting walls!
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/sub-structure-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22088d1304641591-any-idea-intent-100_8378.jpg

Follow the colors, cracks and voids and junctions, esp. rust.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/sub-structure-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/22085d1304641124-any-idea-intent-100_8379.jpg

Raymond Wand
05-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes I noted house constructed on slope. Rust could be from form ties, iron water. Still - regardless, as noted I would be looking for other clues.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Keep looking Raymond, 3/4 of your "clues" are pictured as are so many "clues" provided that are "beyond you"; however, after your most recent I'm giving up on you.

Mat "gets it" and "got it".;)

Raymond Wand
05-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Watson, don't over complicate something you obviously don't understand. KISS.:rolleyes:

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Watson, don't over complicate something you obviously don't understand. KISS.:rolleyes:

LOL, I have KISS'd it for you SS Raymond. Fortunately Mat isn't S or S.

The issues are frankly, over your head.:rolleyes:

Raymond Wand
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Nice of you to speak for Matt.
How many times do I have to flush before you go away?

Nice profile by the way!

Joao Vieira
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Again a good cyber social event goes down the tubes :(

Back to the topic, this waterproofing fix works well if done properly, like anything else.

Mike Schulz
05-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Do you have exterior picture of this area? Any exterior issues you seen to associate with this area? Shrinkage cracks? differential movement? Inquiring minds would like to know...:)

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Raymond Wand,

Mat speaks for himself, as he did on post 19.

Apparently you missed it, his response to my post.

The opinion that Mat is neither S nor S is my own.

Your self-declared KISS level limitations and requirements for discussion are another story. You seem to be the only one that functions on a SS level.

As far as your "flushing" activities, you may flush away to your heart's content. I care not what a simpleton does to entertain himself.

Mark S. Connely
05-27-2011, 08:38 AM
There is another possibility that i have seen done occasionally you will get a bad poor line such as this when it is not properly vibrated and you will find not a crack but open gravel seams at the cold joint between the pours they may have used this as a repair to cover an ugly cold joint in any case the tabs could have been broken off and the wall painted to prevent this kind of discussion ... I personally like it when they dont try to hide it like this;)