PDA

View Full Version : Is This An 'S' Trap?

Bruce Breedlove
08-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Would you call this an 'S' trap? This is under the kitchen sink. Lots of Harry Homeowner "improvements" on this house.

Michael Thomas
08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Hard to be sure in that picture, but that looks to me to be P trap without sufficient trap arm length, the trap arm needs to be 2X pipe diameter minimum.

Bruce Breedlove
08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Michael. I didn't measure the trap arm length but it is borderline. I will report it as such.

Joshua Hardesty
08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
What's coming out the top of that ABS tee?

Bruce Breedlove
08-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Good eye, Joshua. That is what we call a "Harry Homeowner plumbing vent". The kitchen sink was apparently moved from an exterior wall to an interior wall that did not have a vent pipe. So Harry routed the new vent pipe through the new cabinets to another wall where he (hopefully) installed a vent pipe. (All unpermitted of course.)

Jerry Peck
08-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Hard to be sure in that picture, but that looks to me to be P trap without sufficient trap arm length, the trap arm needs to be 2X pipe diameter minimum.

It's probably okay ... that's 1-1/2" trap and drain, making the minimum length only 3", and it does not take much to make up 3",

The female part of the sanitary tee is most likely at least 1" deep, the slip nut is also likely about 1" deep, and wall bend of the trap never goes in all the way, so it's likely at least 1", and then there is that fitting between the slip nut and the female fitting of the sanitary tee, probably makes about an other 1/2".

Close, but it probably makes it.

" ... routed the new vent pipe through the new cabinets to another wall where he (hopefully) installed a vent pipe ... " and the vent, of course, was installed with a proper slope, right? (Yeah, right. :rolleyes: )

Bruce Breedlove
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
" ... routed the new vent pipe through the new cabinets to another wall where he (hopefully) installed a vent pipe ... " and the vent, of course, was installed with a proper slope, right? (Yeah, right. :rolleyes: )

I didn't even measure the slope. I am recommending the buyer have the seller provide evidence all work has been propermitted and approved. Easier said than done for Harry.