PDA

View Full Version : New Deck Installation Issues

Ken chambliss
05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
We recently had a new deck installed and would like advice on the following issues. FYI, The old deck was built in 1984.

1) Contractor spliced new 6x6 support post to existing 4x4 post. Existing post is set on top of a footing but is not secured and is below grade.

2) Contractor sheared off existing 4x4 posts at concrete surface and attached new 6x6 posts to them.

3) Support posts have settled away from existing house roof.

We would like repair and replace recogmendations for these issues.

Thanks,

Ken:mad:

Markus Keller
05-12-2011, 06:28 AM
This makes me wish I lived in TX just so I could go after that contractor. The 3 pics and the big overall pics aren't quite mating up for me so I'm not fully getting it. From the first 3 pics I am seeing I would write the porch as dangerous and hazardous. What's shown in those pics is unacceptable by OUR standards. I have no idea what standards y'all have in TX.
- butt joints at posts unacceptable, shoulder cut with bolts required
- below grade posts or posts in contact with dirt, concrete unacceptable, Simpson type metal base plate required
- no bolts at post to girder
- undersized lumber, 4x4's will not cut it for a porch like that
You need to find out what your local porch requirements are, PORCH, not deck. Maybe for you guys that's a deck, for us up here that's a Porch, whole different ball game as to requirements.
Hire an inspector who likes litigation work.
As much as I dislike our litigious society, Hire an attorney and go after the contractor hard and heavy.

Bruce Ramsey
05-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Here is a reference for best practices when building a deck.

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf (http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf)

Gary DeWitt
05-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Did an engineer sign off on this? If not, one should at least look at it. Construction details notwithstanding, it looks like those are at least partially bearing weight of the roof. If so, the design must exceed that of a normal deck supporting only it's own weight and some people.

Scott Patterson
05-12-2011, 07:01 AM
We recently had a new deck installed and would like advice on the following issues. FYI, The old deck was built in 1984.

1) Contractor spliced new 6x6 support post to existing 4x4 post. Existing post is set on top of a footing but is not secured and is below grade.

2) Contractor sheared off existing 4x4 posts at concrete surface and attached new 6x6 posts to them.

3) Support posts have settled away from existing house roof.

We would like repair and replace recogmendations for these issues.

Thanks,

Ken:mad:

I have to echo much of what Markus has said.
The separation that you are showing between the post and I guess what you are calling the house roof is worrisome. That is telling me that the deck going "south" or is pulling away from the house. Why is it doing that?

Another issue I see and it relates back the original design is that the roof load at the top level is being transferred to the upper deck and then we have nothing to transfer or support that load to the deck below and then to the ground.

Honestly, I would not use the deck for anything until it can be inspected and properly rebuilt, not repaired. This deck needs to be rebuilt before it falls off the back of your home. If it was me I would find a licensed contractor that specializes in residental deck design and construction. Better yet you should consider employing the services of a PE(who specailzes in residental construction) to design what needs to be done. Yes, it is going to cost you a good amount $$ to take care of this problem.

Edward Loughran
05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I would first ask my contractor to see the permits for the construction done. Then I would call the city inspector and ask him some specific questions. If your contractor didn't get the required permits you have all the answers you need. If you hired a licensed contractor the inspectors need to know this is the type of work being performed by them. If you by-passed all the permits - you got what you paid for.

Ken chambliss
05-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys for your help and great advice on my deck issues. I'm having a licensed contractor and engineer to inspect it. I'll keep you posted.

Wayne Carlisle
05-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys for your help and great advice on my deck issues. I'm having a licensed contractor and engineer to inspect it. I'll keep you posted.

There is not such a thing as a licensed contractor in Texas. There may be a local requirement but that doesn't make the contractor any better than one that isn't licensed.

The best bet for a contractor is one that has personal references and you have verified their work with other homeowners for quality work.

We have a registration program for contractors in our jurisdiction and there are some I wouldn't even want to build me a dog house!

Main thing......verify references, and go check out the work they have performed for yourself.