PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater problems.

Elliott Taylor
08-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi all,

just curious if you guys see any problems with this water heater. That TP valve terminates into the wall, not sure where it goes to. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

James Duffin
08-03-2007, 02:55 PM
The IRC P2803.6.1.2 say the relief valve has to have an air gap in the same room as the water heater. This is so if the outlet gets blocked the heater has a place to relieve to.

Joe Nernberg
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
You can lift the lever at the TPR valve to verify the discharge location "IF" you get the seller's permission and warn Seller that old valve may continue to leak. The other option: Inspector is unable to verify the termination point of the discharge line from the temperature and pressure relief valve. Recommend a qualified plumbing contractor to verify and repair if needed.

Rick Hurst
08-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Elliot,

Never open a TPR valve without first knowing where it terminates too. If you can't locate it, use the comment that Joe suggested on your report.

If you choose to do it anyway, make sure you have a wet vac on the truck. ;)

Michael Thomas
08-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Is that material acceptable for the TPRV drain line?

Jerry Peck
08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
First photo:

No sediment trap (its required).

Is that a valve which is missing its handle, or something else?

Copper tubing looks bent.

That T&P discharge line .... (see fourth photo also) ... it's PB and not allowed for that use.

No drain pan under water heater.

Did you notice the cover plate missing at the receptacle the security transformer is plugged into?

Hole in wall where PB T&P discharge line goes needs to be sealed.

Second photo:

Insufficient clearance around vent going up into ceiling above, no fire stop around vent.

Third photo:

That copper line is crimped, what does it go to, the pilot?

Fourth photo:

Vent 'most likely' not secured down to the top of the water heater.

The PB used for the T&P discharge line - not allowed.

imported_John Smith
08-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Looks like another home owner posting. Maybe looking for a second opinion on an HIs findings?

Elliott Taylor
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys. I have never had a problem finding where the discharge location was. It just went straight into the wall, could have terminated anywhere. I appreciate the replies.

Dave Rice
11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I agree with Rick, Never operate an TPR valve or any valve connected to a hot water valve unless you want to take the chance of possibly someone getting burned with hot water. I have seen these valves come apart and scaled people that open them.
Dave Rice

Jerry McCarthy
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Add to Jerry P's list, electrical bonding jumpers missing? and obvious inadequate clearance from louver door. That is certainly is what we call a "target rich" installation.