PDA

View Full Version : water under shower floor

S Shah
05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Have cultured marble shower base on concrete floor foundation (ranch home)

There is water under the shower base and stagnant because stinks.

THe picture shows drain pipe - 4" outer dia, 2" hole, pipe in hole is 2" deep. it is glued/cemented (see excess cement at the center of the hole) in and not threaded. There was an oring around 4" dia. The oring wore out. Think the water is going in from around the edge of the drain. I siphoned out some from there.

I can caulk the ring around the drain, but need to get the water out first.

Options:
1. look for weep holes using mirror - probably under the 2" extension of the drain pipe.
2. cut out the drain pipe - dremmel tool, see where cement is, siphon out all water, re-cement any holes in the cement, glue/drain another drain pipe. found another drain pipe unit at lowes/HD which is approximately the same size.

Whats your suggestion in removing the water from under the shower base.

Thanks in advance.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I have no other suggestions for you at this time except,expect your topic to be moved away from the Home Inspector Technical Topics Plumbing System area to the "Questions from Homeowners, Homebuyers and DIYers" area;andHire a plumber.

Steven Turetsky
05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Shah,

Whatever you are trying to save, is going to cost you 10 times over if you start cutting pipes. Either leave it alone... it will dry out, or do as HG Watson says, and hire a professional to remove the base and fix the leak.

Scott Patterson
05-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Have cultured marble shower base on concrete floor foundation (ranch home)

There is water under the shower base and stagnant because stinks.

THe picture shows drain pipe - 4" outer dia, 2" hole, pipe in hole is 2" deep. it is glued/cemented (see excess cement at the center of the hole) in and not threaded. There was an oring around 4" dia. The oring wore out. Think the water is going in from around the edge of the drain. I siphoned out some from there.

I can caulk the ring around the drain, but need to get the water out first.

Options:
1. look for weep holes using mirror - probably under the 2" extension of the drain pipe.
2. cut out the drain pipe - dremmel tool, see where cement is, siphon out all water, re-cement any holes in the cement, glue/drain another drain pipe. found another drain pipe unit at lowes/HD which is approximately the same size.

Whats your suggestion in removing the water from under the shower base.

Thanks in advance.

The shower pan/base needs to be removed, then the drain properly replaced and the pan reinstalled. It is possible that you could even have a crack in the drain line. You might consider having a plumber scope it to see just what it looks like down in the drain line. I have seem cracks happen as the pipe enters the slab. This is not a DIY repair.