PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Faucet Leak Help/DIY

Robert Foster
05-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Hope one inspector asking about his own house doesn't violate the Forum rules...I don't see the DIY section anymore...

I have a leaking kitchen faucet and before I throw money at it by ordering a new cartridge I thought I might confirm my diagnosis with the more experienced plumbers on here first.

Faucet leaks from around the bottom of the top trim piece whenever the faucet is turned on. I've pulled it apart a couple of times and smeared vasoline on all the accessible O rings to see if one of those might be the culprit...no luck.

I'm thinking it's the seal where the control lever arm goes into the cartridge at the top...see the last photo...and I need to replace the cartridge.

Make sense, is there anything I don't know or over looking here?

Thanks.

Rick Cantrell
05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Yes, replace the cartridge. Be sure ro clean out the deposits.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
05-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Its still there,

Main menu page, down near the bottom
- Below first section, Technical topics, inspection
- Below Next section, Non-Technical topics, inspection

is the Third section...Questions from Homeowners, Homebuyers, DIYers

First topic area....Here's a link: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/questions-home-owners-home-buyers-diy/

Who's faucet? Several mfg'rs offer lifetime warranties to original purchaser of home - including free shipment of replacement o-rings, cartridges, faucet handle set-screws, etc.

Question, does the leaking stop when you operate the sprayer/diverter?

Robert Foster
05-18-2011, 06:41 PM
The DIY is still there...thanks HG....I never go so far down on the homepage....wasn't it up at the top before ?

The faucet is a Delta and no the leak does not stop when I use the sprayer.

Warranty....yeah, I was going to call Delta and look it to that....probably a pipe dream though....

Rick Cantrell
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Delta, are you sure?
Delta shows a ball, not a cartridge.
Leaks : Frequently Asked Questions : Delta Faucet (http://www.deltafaucet.com/customersupport/faq/Leaks/)

Robert Foster
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
You're right Rick....just pulled out my manual....it's American Standard.

Rick Cantrell
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
This may help

American Standard Kitchen Faucet Troubleshooting & Repair Guide (http://411plumb.com/american-standard-kitchen-faucet-troubleshooting-repair-guide)

Steven Saville
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Your photos reference the cartridge repair. But the leak is likely 'O' rings for the swing spout. After disassembling, remove the spout by pulling up while swinging the spout from side-to-side. You will find an upper and lower 'O' ring. Replace them and apply a small amount of faucet grease on the "O' rings and you will find the spout swivels much easier and the leak is fixed.

Benjamin Thompson
05-18-2011, 08:59 PM
You dont need to buy anything. American Standard has a lifetime warranty and yes, they do stand behind it. Call them and tell them what parts you need.