PDA

View Full Version : Attic Insulation vs. Termite Inspection Accessibility

Rob Radtke
05-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I am purchasing a home that was built in 1962 and it had an addition put on in 2005. The original home is 1500 sq ft and the addition added about 700 sqft. The original part of the home currently has no attic insulation. The house is in southern California where temperatures are warm but termite problems are common.

I'm trying to decide whether to put insulation in attic. Obviously, it's more energy efficient to insulate the attic, but I also hear that it makes it impossible to inspect the attic for termites. I'm anxious to hear educated opinions on this trade-off.

Thank you for you help!

Rob

PS - A termite inspection has just been completed and two separate spots with evidence of drywood termites were found. These are going to be professionally addressed and the house fumigated next week. So, I'm not afraid of covering existing termite problems. I'm more afraid of not being able to promptly find and fix future problems.

Ted Menelly
05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I am purchasing a home that was built in 1962 and it had an addition put on in 2005. The original home is 1500 sq ft and the addition added about 700 sqft. The original part of the home currently has no attic insulation. The house is in southern California where temperatures are warm but termite problems are common.

I'm trying to decide whether to put insulation in attic. Obviously, it's more energy efficient to insulate the attic, but I also hear that it makes it impossible to inspect the attic for termites. I'm anxious to hear educated opinions on this trade-off.

Thank you for you help!

Rob

PS - A termite inspection has just been completed and two separate spots with evidence of drywood termites were found. These are going to be professionally addressed and the house fumigated next week. So, I'm not afraid of covering existing termite problems. I'm more afraid of not being able to promptly find and fix future problems.

Terminates swarm. They will be noticed in the future. Aha is more important is insulation in the attic. Everyone uses heat and air and you will pay a fortune for it in the future with no insulation.

Rob Radtke
05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi Ted,
Thank you for the quick reply. Do you have any opinions on whether it's better to use blown in vs. Batt insulation. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Rob

Steven Turetsky
05-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Terminates swarm. They will be noticed in the future. Aha is more important is insulation in the attic. Everyone uses heat and air and you will pay a fortune for it in the future with no insulation.

I agree with Ted; You will notice them when they swarm (and shed their wings). Also keep your eyes open for shelter tubes.

Dom D'Agostino
05-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Also keep your eyes open for shelter tubes.

He has a drywood termite problem, so there may not be any shelter tubes unless subs move in.