PDA

View Full Version : Siting of neighbours boiler vent

Mikey S
05-23-2011, 03:46 AM
I wonder if anyone could help me with a general enquiry regarding the regulations on the positioning of a boiler vent from an oil powered boiler.

The problem I have is that our neighbour has recently had a side extension built and has moved their boiler to the wall of the extension which is sited approx. 10ft from our property (the boundary being about half way between). Our house is a little unusual in that the front door is at the side of our property and as such the vent from our neighbour’s boiler is now about 10ft from our front door, pointing more or less at it.

I am concerned on two fronts, firstly the noise level from the boiler (which sounds more like an industrial boiler than domestic) is very high coming through our front door and also through the windows of our lounge (which is on the same side with the vent pointing at it). It really is very loud and disturbing to us, we can't even hear the tele anymore!! I am also concerned as to what fumes and gases are now being directed at our front door from the boiler.

The boiler is a non condensing type and whilst I suppose that it has been moved and sited in accordance with regulations, I wonder if anyone could advise what the regulations are in respect to distances from adjacent properties (well distances from front doors!) of boiler vents of this type or point me to somewhere where I could find out some more information?

I have spoken to our neighbours on several occasions about the problem (in fact we did ask before the extension was built if the boiler could not be put on the wall facing us, as we knew it would be a problem!), to ask if some ducting could be added to direct the vent upwards, but have not made any progress so far in getting this done.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Garry Sorrells
05-23-2011, 04:59 AM
The answer will vary in relation to your location.

You must have anticipated a problem since you spoke to your neighbor prior to construction. Now, it is what it is. The installer will not come back for free if it is correct. Your neighbor will not pay to make alterations since the installer probably said it was installed correctly and by manufacture specifications.

Try to have your neighbor to agree to looking at possible alteration. Be happy to pay for any alteration that could resolve your issue and be happy that your neighbor went along with it being done.

You want to have some leverage to have the vent moved or altered. Go to your local jurisdiction as they control if the installation was correct or not. You also need the installation requirements and specifications of that unit to determine if the vent can be alltered or reconfigured.

Oil burners are loud due to the burner gun. Sort of like a jet engine, forced air & fuel.

Scott Patterson
05-23-2011, 06:11 AM
No matter what you do someone(you or the neighbor) is not going to be a happy camper.

If you live in a city/township that has a code enforcement department you need to contact them. Yes, they will have rules and regulations that govern the setbacks and what can and can't be at a property line. Also you neighbor could be in violation of local sound ordnance depending on the decibels that the furnace is putting out.

If you neighbor is in violation of a city code/rule/regulation/etc, the city should make the neighbor change the setup.

Billy Stephens
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
No matter what you do someone(you or the neighbor) is not going to be a happy camper.

If you neighbor is in violation of a city code/rule/regulation/etc, the city should make the neighbor change the setup.
Locale ( not sure if it's State or County ) Anything that deprives you of the use and enjoyment of your property can be subject to a Court Order for correction.

Garry Sorrells
05-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Locale ( not sure if it's State or County ) Anything that deprives you of the use and enjoyment of your property can be subject to a Court Order for correction.

My neighbor will not bring beer to the cook out. Can not enjoy my property, think I could get a Court Order for Correction?????

Garry Sorrells
05-24-2011, 03:53 AM
But my enjoyment is based on him bringing the beer. I will not enjoy it if I have to supply my own.

Billy Stephens
05-24-2011, 08:54 AM
My neighbor will not bring beer to the cook out. Can not enjoy my property, think I could get a Court Order for Correction?????
Nope,
* But if he complains the court can (and has) order you not to burn that noxious smelling odor drifting onto his property.

Adrian Wilson
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Building codes vary with location so it's hard to know if the appliance was installed according to your local codes without having a city/county/state location. The advice of previous posts to check with your local permitting office is good, but I recommend looking online and finding the codes yourself to make sure a mistake hasn't been made.

In my area, the strictest ordinances for distance of exhaust apply to mechanical intakes, such as window A/C units that have fresh air inlets. Here, the ordinances require the exhaust be 10 feet (horizontally) and 3 feet (vertically) from an inlet. If you can buy or borrow a CO detector that gives a ppm (parts/million) readout, check the levels on your property. If the readings are at an acceptable level, you will at least know your family is safe and this is just a nuisance problem, not a health threat. However, if the readings are high, (35+ppm) you have a strong case to have things changed.

In addition, I would strongly recommend you get CO detectors installed in your home in areas near any exhaust source into the house (garage, furnace, water heater, generator, etc).

James Duffin
07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Can you post a picture of the side of the house with the vent?