PDA

View Full Version : client complain cockroach and mice

Peter Louis
05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi Guys:

I inspected an overtimer a couple of month ago. The client called me today to complain the cockroach and mice on property. I know we do not need to report this according to SoP. But is there any indication we can advise clients the adversity? Also, is there any way we can cover our ass in any case?

Thank you

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
peter

what is an overtimer ??

did you see any cockroaches or mice feces at inspection ?

if so did you take any pictures and report so in report--cockroaches don't just show up. yes the sop says we don't do that--and i hope your inspection agreement says that, but if i see them roaches or mice crap i report it.

was client at inspection ?

cvf

Peter Louis
05-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Overtimer is the house over 50 years old. The clients were on the scene during te inspection

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
05-26-2011, 04:55 PM
peter

ok---did client see roaches and mice crap ?--and the sop's are a guide line for us., you are not going to be banished from assoc if you go above them-how can we help you if you answer so vaguely---what did you see.--report what you see. if you don't be prepared for what you are asking.

cvf

Bruce Ramsey
05-26-2011, 04:56 PM
My contract and state SOP says that HI do not inspect for insects or vermin. Out of scope. If I see either during the inspection I verbally alert the client. My include a recommendation in the report to have a pest and vermin control inspection.

Not really our job. What does the client want from you?

Eric Barker
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Peter,
Clients need to understand that bugs and mice get into buildings - it's pretty much a given. In fact, if a home never had such occurrences I'd tend to wonder what was keeping them away and whether I'd want to be there myself.

Peter Louis
05-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank you, Guys.

The client did not ask me anything but just stated a fact after he moved in. I just want to know how to avoid this and make everybody happy.

Eric Barker
05-26-2011, 05:47 PM
I use my own home as an example for people - whether it's bugs, leaks, wood decay etc. That way they feel like what they're experiencing is pretty typical for all homeowners and they become more accepting of the situation. At least most of the time!

Markus Keller
05-26-2011, 05:53 PM
'Write what you see'
If I see evidence of it, whether droppings, dead ones, live ones, traps or poison, it goes in the report. Considering it can cost a client a few hundred bucks its important. The client also might want to get the killer in there before they move in.

John Kogel
05-27-2011, 10:29 AM
I have a section in my report for pests - evidence of pests and a location, (but of course, this is not a pest inspection, blah blah.)

I have more experience with rodents than roaches, the joy of living on an island. Knock on wood.

Sometimes the rodent signs are obvious, other times, it's just a faint odour.
Watch for feces on an uninsulated attic hatch or on top of the water heater - warm spots. Watch for zigzag trails thru loose insulation in the attic. Small round holes in the insulation. Rat bait pouches.
Sometimes I just report the odor, the unmistakable rodent urine smell, then I'm pretty sure they've got them in the walls. If there's no odour, I'll pass that along, signs of rodent activity but no smell.

Be aware that the Hanta virus is carried by those cute little deer mice with the white bellys and there has been a steady increase of Hanta virus infections in Washington State.

Peter Louis
05-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Thank you John & all you guys input, perfect shots

Rick Hurst
05-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Those rat bait pouches should not be just tossed around in the attic or in closets, under sinks either. They should be in tamper resistant bait stations.

rick

John Kogel
05-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Those rat bait pouches should not be just tossed around in the attic or in closets, under sinks either. They should be in tamper resistant bait stations.

rickGood point, thanks, Rick. I should pass that on when I see that. I remember one attic with about 20 unsampled packets of poison scattered around the hatch. I pictured the home owner, too scared to go up there, tossing up a packet of poison everytime he heard a noise. :)

I saw this bait station at a 70's townhouse complex.

Ted Menelly
06-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I beg to differ with the remark that roaches, mice, rats or anything else THAT SHOULD NOT BE IN YOUR HOME is not a normal thing to have in your home. There is no acceptable reason for these creatures to be in your home. There are ways to keep them out. Mice, roaches, rats etc carry diseases and are very filthy creatures.

Exterminate, trap, block entry, whatever. They are not a normal occurrence and need to be eradicated. Wood rot on a home has a reason and needs to be corrected. Leaks have a reason for being leaks and it need to be corrected.

If I find mice, rats spiders or anything in that realm I report it to the clients. The last thing I want is surprises for the folks that I am inspecting for. I do not want a kid or husband or wife to be standing at their kitchen counter with a black widow or even common house spider hanging out by the toe kick and have them bitten.

I inspected a home that was obviously infested with spiders. I commented on it heavily to the buyers do to the enormous amount of spiders. Even if there were just a few obvious spiders I would have commented on it. The little girl got bit on the foot by a spider as I was inspecting. They did not notice the bite until after the inspection. The little girl wound up at the after hours emergency room because of the swelling in her foot. It turned out to not be the worse kind to get bitten from but THEY ALL BITE.

In short

It is our job to report on such things. These are concerns in the home and if noticed then they should be commented on. Are we not there to find concerns that will affect the buyer? Financially or for safety reasons. Our front page of the formatted report from TREC states that we may comment on safety items but could not possibly be expected to report every possible safety concern in a home (the entire home would have a comment) but if it is in your face, report it. If you are going to say it verbally you need to put it in the report somewhere. In a summary or the other as in the Texas report or what ever. They say we are not suppose to comment on wood destroying insects in Texas unless we have a license. OK then, right!!!!! I still comment and advise for a WDI.

andeyL
06-16-2011, 11:05 PM

rick

I agree:rolleyes:...

Joseph Miley
06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
In my neck of the woods its mandatory on every home sell to have a certified pest inspection. No liability on HI.

John Dirks Jr
06-25-2011, 06:48 PM
'Write what you see'
If I see evidence of it, whether droppings, dead ones, live ones, traps or poison, it goes in the report. Considering it can cost a client a few hundred bucks its important. The client also might want to get the killer in there before they move in.

I totally agree with this. SOP is a minimum. In my opinion, its foolish for a home inspector not to report on pest evidence of any kind, as long as you're sure what you say is consistent with facts on the day of the inspection.