PDA

View Full Version : Must you get a permit to redisign run on your stairwell

Norman Butcher
05-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I need some advice and thank all you pros in advance..

I have a stairwell that has a door that opens to my driveway. The door sits mid way down the run of stairs. These stairs lead to basement and I think the door or the basements run were added on not sure which came first. This is a very old house.

There is no landing to use the door making dangerous to use doorway because your stepping off a stair to go outside. First question is this illegal or has any seen this before. Second do I have to get a permit and or inspection to alter the stair and put landing in there.

I uploaded 2 pics of how it is now and what I want to do to correct this..

Again thank you all

Jerry Peck
05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Second do I have to get a permit and or inspection to alter the stair and put landing in there.

Yes and yes.

Your second drawing does not look like it corrects all of the problem.

John Kogel
05-29-2011, 08:17 PM
It is most likely a requirement to have a permit for that job. Call the city office and ask.

There are good reasons for getting a permit. Doing the work under a permit will help when you go to sell the house. An engineer from the city can check your plan and tell you if it meets the minimum standards (is safe).
Where is the driveway in your drawing?

Norman Butcher
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
The driveway is just beyond a concrete slab outside that door. I figure as much, The door and stairs could not be to code ,many people were hitting there heads on top of door frame having to step on to a stair to get in and not ducking enough when comming from the stairwell. I know its a bad drawing but you know what they say "even a bad drawing is worth 500 words" Thank you for your help on this.