PDA

View Full Version : Wood stove clearance to ceiling

Jon mackay
06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Just to make sure, there is no way to reduce the clearance to ceiling requirement using metal ceiling tiles correct?

This unit has the standard 18" clearance requirement and as installed there is approximately 7" to the metal ceiling tile and 9 - 10" to the wood joists above.

John Kogel
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm not an authority on this, but I believe you are correct, that is not an approved way to install a wood burner.
Changing the stove pipe to a double-walled pipe might be an option there, but I'd wait for the pros to make the call.

Scott Patterson
06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Just to make sure, there is no way to reduce the clearance to ceiling requirement using metal ceiling tiles correct?

This unit has the standard 18" clearance requirement and as installed there is approximately 7" to the metal ceiling tile and 9 - 10" to the wood joists above.

If it is only 7" from the ceiling then it does not meet the proper clearance requirement. Even with allowable reduction measures it does not meet the distance. The closest distance with proper reduction measures would be 9" from the ceiling.

MARVIN TOWNSEN
06-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't that be considered a non-combustible surface with a 1" air gap that would reduce clearances?

Jerry Peck
06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I suspect you guys are referring to the table for reduction of clearances in the IRC Mechanical section.

That table is not to be used for reduction of clearances with a minimum clearance of 12 inches, nor is that table to be used for reduction of clearances greater than 12 inches to less than 12 inches.

I.e., if the clearance is specified at 12 inches, the clearance is 12 inches (that table cannot be used to reduce that 12 inches).

I.e., if the clearance is specified at 18 inches, the table can only be used to reduce the clearance to 12 inches.