PDA

View Full Version : How would you like to clean this trap?

Don Halligan
06-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I know this needs to be updated. I was wondering if it actually works installed in this position?

Jerry Peck
06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
"How would you like to clean this trap?"

V-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y ... :)

Rick Cantrell
06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Some were made to be opened from above and others from below.
I do not know which this is.

Ron Hasil
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
That is a normal install of a short trap it can be installed either way with the clean out facing up, and the tub coming in the bottom and the drain leaving out the side or as it is plumbed in.

John Kogel
06-02-2011, 08:32 PM
'Drum trap'.

Ron Hasil
06-02-2011, 08:36 PM
There are two types a long drum trap where one pipe comes in one side and leaves the other side of the trap.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/SewerRatz/Plumbing%20pics/18728d1240261936-moving-washer-main-level-drum-trap21.jpg

THen the short trap where one pipe enters or leaves the side and the other pipe is entering or leaving from the top.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/SewerRatz/Plumbing%20pics/short_trap.jpg

John Kogel
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Ron. I see the inlet is low and the outlet is high on those. They're all pretty ugly, eh?

Ron Hasil
06-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Thanks, Ron. I see the inlet is low and the outlet is high on those. They're all pretty ugly, eh?
John the one I have pictured is its an old lead trap. They do make them in cast iron. Just couldn't find a good picture.

From a drain cleaning prospective the long traps a plumber can rod from the tub and pass through the trap with a little skill.

Ted Menelly
06-03-2011, 07:16 AM
John the one I have pictured is its an old lead trap. They do make them in cast iron. Just couldn't find a good picture.

From a drain cleaning prospective the long traps a plumber can rod from the tub and pass through the trap with a little skill.

Are they even allowed anymore?

Ron Hasil
06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Are they even allowed anymore?

Yes they are in most codes. But there has been some plumbing codes that added a drum trap to the prohibited trap list. So it is best to check with your local code.

Here is what is in the Illinois plumbing code:

e) Drum Traps. Drum traps shall be 3 or 4 inches in diameter and provided with a fixed water seal of at least 2 inches. The trap cleanout shall be one size less than the trap diameter.

Phil Brody
06-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Q-U-I-C-K-L-E-Y

Steven Turetsky
06-04-2011, 03:27 AM
With an umbrella over my head

MARVIN TOWNSEN
06-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Black mail one of the neighbor kids:rolleyes:

James Duffin
06-04-2011, 02:56 PM
2009 NC Plumbing Code.....

1002.3 Prohibited traps. The following types of traps are prohibited:
1. Traps that depend on moving parts to maintain the seal.
2. Bell traps.
3. Crown-vented traps.
4. Traps not integral with a fixture and that depend on interior
partitions for the seal, except those traps constructed
of an approved material that is resistant to corrosion and
degradation.
5. "S" traps.
6. Drum traps.
Exception: Drum traps used as solids interceptors
and drum traps serving chemical waste systems shall
not be prohibited.

Ron Hasil
06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
2009 NC Plumbing Code.....

1002.3 Prohibited traps.

The following types of traps are prohibited:

1. Traps that depend on moving parts to maintain the seal.
2. Bell traps.
3. Crown-vented traps.
4. Traps not integral with a fixture and that depend on interior
partitions for the seal, except those traps constructed
of an approved material that is resistant to corrosion and
degradation.
5. "S" traps.
6. Drum traps.
Exception: Drum traps used as solids interceptors
and drum traps serving chemical waste systems shall

not be prohibited.

Yep as I said it depends on your codes. Illinois does not follow the above code and allows drum traps to be used still.

Jerry McCarthy
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
California Plumbing Code: 1004.0 Traps — Prohibited.No form of trap that depends for its seal upon the action of movable parts shall be used. No trap that has concealed interior partitions, except those of plastic, glass, or similar corrosion-resisting material, shall be used. "S" traps, bell traps, and crown-vented traps shall be prohibited. No fixture shall be double trapped. Drum and bottle traps shall be installed only for special conditions. No trap shall be installed without a vent, except as otherwise provided in this code.