PDA

View Full Version : water heater venting

Seth Hughes
08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
hey guys

Take a look at this water heater vent. The unit is in a small closet. it goes straight up through the roof but there is no seperation from the attic. how to report? I will be pointing out that there is no drain pan. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Nick Ostrowski
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
No drip leg on gas supply line, improper clearances to combustible surfaces around flue pipe, and what the #$@& is with that TPR exhaust tube?

Seth Hughes
08-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I know right. I've never seen a TPR valve and piping like that. You should have seen how the TPR discharge line just goes straight into the wall behind the WH. no idea where it ends.

Jerry Peck
08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
No drip leg on gas supply line,

Er ... :) , you mean "sediment trap", right? ;)

Jerry Peck
08-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I've never seen a TPR valve and piping like that. You should have seen how the TPR discharge line just goes straight into the wall behind the WH. no idea where it ends.

That's a piece of flexible connector (recent long discussion on a thread about this use of this for T&P discharge drain lines) , not to use it.

The T&P discharge drain line 'goes uphill', and it is not allowed to.

The vent? Is that daylight I'm seeing around the vent up through the flashing? No storm collar either, at least not where it should be.

Looks like there was a ceiling there and someone removed it, leaving the insulation with the paper facing exposed - which is a no-no. There is now a large uninsulated *hole* going right up from the living space to the outdoors through what should be the thermal envelope of the house.

Think of it as $$$$$$ signs going up in smoke.

Michael Thomas
08-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Does that discharge pipe enter the wall, or stop just short of it?

Seth Hughes
08-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes michael that discharge line goes straight into the wall. at an uphill angle.