PDA

View Full Version : Notch in i-joist blocking?

Dan McDonald
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
The builder added some missing blocking and notched the I-joist flange of the blocking (not the floor joist) for electrical/plumbing. Is this okay?

Vern Heiler
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
The builder added some missing blocking and notched the I-joist flange of the blocking (not the floor joist) for electrical/plumbing. Is this okay?

I see the web is notched, not the flange. Other than possible need for squash blocks, it looks ok to me.

TR Platt
06-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Are the blocks being used as squash blocks (load bearing wall above), or as lateral support over intermediate bearing?

Looks ok as lateral support. Does not appear compliant if it is supporting a load.

Dan McDonald
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Correct, the web is notched not the flange

I am pretty sure this is a load bearing wall which is why they put blocking in.

TR Platt
06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Could be ok if web stiffeners aren't required on the joists.

Dan McDonald
06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
The builder showed me the joist drawing and all it indicates is "blocking" on specific joists. Doesn't say anything about stiffners or what type of load it is supporting.

TR Platt
06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, you got some blocking.

Until the RDP draws a set a plans that are useful, sounds like he provided what was called for.

If you are representing the owner, you could contact the arch. and have him clarify; I suspect the builder will want a change order for anything else.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
06-11-2011, 06:24 AM
The OP is a home owner/home buyer, and DIYing HIS OWN "builder" issues for his own home. He has admitted this on other threads since he joined here one month ago.

1. This does NOT belong in the Technical areas - but in the "Questions from Home Owners, Home Buyers, and DIYers" area.

2. The OP needs to hire an independant qualified construction consultant and work with an engineer to review the plans, calculate loads, inspect, and at this point to DESIGN the means to repair and remediate a multitude of "issues" shared here and elsewhere, by the hack.

Problems abound.

And No, not correct. Also not a legit means for wiring the NM in the crawlspace. Rather irrelevant since the i-joist SYSTEM is compromised/a mess elsewhere as well.

Mixing sawn lumber chord I-Joists and Laminated chords. Upside Down, Different Sizes/Mfg's, installing improperly, damaging, too many posts same problems - Not an engineered system not executed correctly, continues to damage. Water/moisture/mold/mildew. Masonry curtain walls for pier and curtain wall foundation, beyond prescribed limitations of the IRC (elevations, etc.); Using Sawn Lumber for bands/rims not engineered materials; system compromised, non-engineered and under load alterations. Cut, shaved, damaged, trimmed joists. Tear outs hacks not knockouts or proper holes.

Stick to ONE discussion, stop creating multiple ones - the rest are where they belong under the HomeOwner/Buyer/DIYer area; and get yourself an independant qualified professional construction consultant qualifed plans examiner/inspector and an ENGINEER to specifiy the corrections and how they may be accomplished.