PDA

View Full Version : sump pit in bedroom

Galen L. Beasley
06-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Is there any code that prohibits having a sump pit and pump in a bedroom closet? The pit has a cover but it is not completely sealed.

Tom Thompson
06-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Sump pits and sewage ejectors are required to be air tight, sealed and vented to the outside. Location isn't so great but not prohibited.

Michael Thomas
09-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Sump pits and sewage ejectors are required to be air tight, sealed and vented to the outside. Location isn't so great but not prohibited.

Do you have a cite for the requirement to vent a sump (dewatering) system, as opposed to a sewage ejector system?

Ron Hasil
09-09-2011, 05:37 AM
I know the local codes for Northern Illinois and Chicago do not require a sump (dewatering) pump to be sealed and vented. Only time they are sealed and vented is when Radon is an issue.

bruce audretsch
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Here in Northern California, I have one in my bedroom and another in the adjoining closet. The AHJ had no issues with them.
My only complaint is the noise issue. I put mine on a timer.
I'd be very interested to hear of other opinions.

wayne soper
09-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Did you check the listing, they may have that on as a 1/2 bath:D

Tom Thompson
09-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Do you have a cite for the requirement to vent a sump (dewatering) system, as opposed to a sewage ejector system?
California Plumbing Code 710.10 venting 710.14.1 Air & water tight
De- watering pumps located outside of living areas don't require air tight, vented sumps.
Inside unsealed or vented sumps would stink from decomposing organic material.

Ron Hasil
09-11-2011, 08:04 AM
California Plumbing Code 710.10 venting 710.14.1 Air & water tight
De- watering pumps located outside of living areas don't require air tight, vented sumps.
Inside unsealed or vented sumps would stink from decomposing organic material.

Yes venting must be air and water tight. A sump pump that does not receive any waste water, only receives ground water will not have any decomposing organic material.

Ken Amelin
09-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Here in Northern California, I have one in my bedroom and another in the adjoining closet. The AHJ had no issues with them.
My only complaint is the noise issue. I put mine on a timer.
I'd be very interested to hear of other opinions.

A TIMER?? - Not Good.

What happens if the sump is full and overflowing, but the timer is off?

Rod Smith
09-12-2011, 05:56 AM
I have the same concern as Ken....if it is on a timer, what good is it when the power is off?

Rick Cantrell
09-12-2011, 05:58 AM
I have the same concern as Ken....if it is on a timer, what good is it when the power is off?

If the power is off, what good is it with or without a timer?

Rod Smith
09-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Exactly....!

Michael Avis
09-12-2011, 08:00 AM
umm...no timer. Battery back-up. Set and forget it.

bruce audretsch
09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
In my situation, a timer works. The "flow" is just a constant trickle of groundwater, it doesn't increase appreciably during normal rains.
If we are having a deluge, I disable the timers, and, I have an emergency generator for power outages.
No worries.
And I get no odor from the water or the pit. The stuff coming through is "springwater fresh".