PDA

View Full Version : Damp wall

gas goyne
06-09-2011, 08:25 AM
I have just had a report completed on a 2 storey house I am planning on buying. The house is brick and built in 2007. It has two bathrooms.

Only thing of concern that was picked up was that the moisture meter detected dampness in the wall behind the bath. The bath is on the ground floor. Apparently all other moisture meter readings were fine.

The explanation I have been given is
"SOME DAMP READINGS ON WALL BEHIND BATH IN BEDROOM – THERE ARE GAPS IN THE GROUTING AT THE BATH/TILE JOINT AND WHERE THE BATH SURROUND HAS BEEN SILICONED TO THE VANITY. APPARENTLY GRAN CHILDREN USE THIS BATH AND SPLASHING WATER ONTO THE SURROUND COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THE DAMP AS IT SEEPS PAST THE CRACKED GROUT – SILICON SEAL THESE JOINTS INSTEAD."

Is this explanation reasonable or should I get a second opinion?

John Kogel
06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
"Damp" is relative to what? We would need more specifics than that.
Not many houses are built purely of brick today, even in Perth, Ontario. If it is brick veneer, you should know that the structural framing is probably wood, but again that is not definite without more info.
If the inspector is concerned about moisture causing damage, he should say so. If not, then he may simply be warning you of possible future damage that he does not want to be held responsible for. (This may be the result of continuing pressure on home inspectors to see what they can't see and predict the unpredictable.)
See if the inspector will clarify the statement. If he is simply calling for grout repair, just do that.

Eric Barker
06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
"SOME DAMP READINGS ON WALL BEHIND BATH IN BEDROOM – THERE ARE GAPS IN THE GROUTING AT THE BATH/TILE JOINT AND WHERE THE BATH SURROUND HAS BEEN SILICONED TO THE VANITY. APPARENTLY GRAN CHILDREN USE THIS BATH AND SPLASHING WATER ONTO THE SURROUND COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THE DAMP AS IT SEEPS PAST THE CRACKED GROUT – SILICON SEAL THESE JOINTS INSTEAD."

I have read and reread that and can't really tell what is being described. It would seem that the moisture reading was taken on the wall of an adjacent bedroom. If the water has indeed gone this far then I would question the condition of the wall's interior. Fungi like this kind of environment.

But then again, I've never been too successful with understanding poor grammar.

Billy Stephens
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I

Only thing of concern that was picked up was that the moisture meter detected dampness in the wall behind the bath. The bath is on the ground floor. Apparently all other moisture meter readings were fine.

The explanation I have been given is
"SOME DAMP READINGS ON WALL BEHIND BATH IN BEDROOM
Bedroom Wall shows signs of elevated moisture on the other side of tiled areas in the bathroom – THE SURROUND COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THE DAMP AS IT SEEPS PAST THE CRACKED GROUT – SILICON SEAL THESE JOINTS INSTEAD." Cracked grout is the suspected entry of the detected moisture and would suggest sealing over those cracks with Silicon.

Is this explanation reasonable or should I get a second opinion?

With the limited information given it sounds plausible.

I've never been too successful with understanding poor grammar.
Eric"s concern about the interior space of this wall harboring microbial
growth is also plausible.

John Kogel
06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
OK, damp in the bedroom wall is different than what I was picturing this AM. I wasn't making sense of that sentence either.
There should be no high moisture readings in an interior wall. It could be leaking tiles or it could be leaking pipes. Water could be leaking from upstairs. Plan to cut some exploratory holes in that wall.
It's a young house and it can be repaired. But how much it will cost will depend on the source of the moisture, and the extent of damage to the drywall.