PDA

View Full Version : Seeing is believing

Robert Foster
06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
There's frequently skepticism for items we home inspectors call out. Take missing cable clamps for example. Call them out and realtors roll their eyes like there's no possible way that stationary metal box is going to damage that cable just sitting there against the box. Pictures are great.

James Duffin
06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Did that box have internal cable clamps made into the box?

Robert Foster
06-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Did that box have internal cable clamps made into the box?

The box was made for internal clamps but they were not installed in several of the boxes in this part of the attic...see the empty hole just to the right of the cable....

Jack Feldmann
06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
nice photo

Robert Foster
06-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Looking at the photo again....I wonder if that damage is not a case of over tightening the internal clamp when initially installing the cable, seeing the wire was damaged and then removing the clamp, but not replacing the cable. :confused:

James Duffin
06-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Looking at the photo again....I wonder if that damage is not a case of over tightening the internal clamp when initially installing the cable, seeing the wire was damaged and then removing the clamp, but not replacing the cable. :confused:

That's what I was thinking...

Curt Downs
06-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Nice pic, I'll bring the marshmallows, and I better hurry over.

Richard D. Fornataro
06-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Looks to me that the damage is from the sharp edge of the device box. As you look at the photo, pay attention to the immediate left of the NM cable. Also, doesn't it appear that there is a cable clamp on the interior of the box holding the wire to the left edge of the KO? I do see the hole pointed out by others but the photo may not be large enough to see the internal clamp fastener.

matt farmer
06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Nice photo