PDA

View Full Version : Clearance to foundation vents

Bill Anglin
06-12-2011, 10:48 AM
The home I inspected has grading problems. This is new construction,The grade at the back of the house is above the foundation vents. Wouldn't be a huge fix except they poured a cement patio. I'm calling this out for repair on my report but I cant find a code that supports it. Does anyone have something for recommended grade at foundation vents? Much appreciated.

Matt Fellman
06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I could never find this in any code book but my local Pest/Dry Rot folks (Oregon Pest Control Association) requires vent wells whenever there is less than 6" from the lower edge. I thought that was based on an FHA/VA requirement but can't remember.

My standard write-up is that vent wells should be installed anywhere there is less than 6" clearance beneath the lower edge of a foundation vent. It's amongst the most common things I write up. New house, old house.... pretty much all of them.

Randy Mayo
06-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Bill

IRC 401.3 deals with the proper slope which does not exist in you photos. Regardless of any code violations allowing water to get into the crawlspace is a potential structural issue (settlement) and mold issue (health) for the home owner.

Eric Barker
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't be a huge fix except they poured a cement patio.

I wouldn't say that. The foundation is too low. Sloping the grade away from the house does not seem like an easy solution. What if an exterior drainage system were to be installed? Your perception of huge might not be the same as someone else's - especially when they're paying for it.

MARVIN TOWNSEN
06-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Wow looks like the poured a slab on fill, that ought to hold up well.

Franz Bailey
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Couldn't you re-mediate this issue by removing some soil and creating a graded drainage swale lined with stones or gravel?

Additionally, there is what appears to be exposed sheathing behind the stairs which is likely to create deterioration and water infiltration issues.

Marc M
07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Re grade...

Robert Hronek
10-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Is this a vented crawlspace. Seems like the crawlspace could have been unvented. Waterproffed/insulated to it was semi conditioned.

Gregory Booth
10-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Just curious..............is this a modular that was set on a too-small foundation?I've seen that happen several times. If not, what is the motivation for the cantilever flooring system? And just to note......that's a concrete patio, not cement:rolleyes:
...........Greg

Raymond Wand
10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Why do you have to quote code to support your supposition?

I would state its obvious shortcomings, water entry, not good practice, below grade and the ramifications.