PDA

View Full Version : Bonding to panel

Jeff Eastman
08-05-2007, 07:53 AM

Philip Desmarais
08-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm going out on a limb here saying that I don't believe the manufacturer intended their equipment to be used in that manner.

Scott Patterson
08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
If that is the CATV, I think that it needs to be grounded and not bonded. Just like the telephone line. The need to have a grounding rod and then that rod is bonded to the main electrical ground. You will also see it attached to the main grounding conductor in some areas.

Michael Thomas
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
See fig. 2 & 3 here:

Grounding Satellite Dish and Lead-In Cables (http://mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/GB-HTML/HTML/GroundingSatelliteDishandLead-InCables%7E20020303.htm)

Jerry Peck
08-05-2007, 11:24 AM
"in this fashion"

Absolutely not!

It needs to be bonded or grounded directly to the grounding electrode system.

Can it be bonded to a component which is grounded to the grounding electrode system? Yes, such as the rigid metal riser.

Do not, however, drive a separate ground rod (and those little metal stakes they drive in are not ground rods, ground rods are in the ground a minimum of 8 feet and at least 1/2" diameter) ... unless that ground rod is bonded back to the grounding electrode system with a grounding electrode conductor of the same size as the main grounding electrode conductor (i.e, not bonded with a small #12 wire).

Michael Thomas
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
The diagram at Mike Holt site's lists "service equipment enclosure" as a allowed grounding point, is there a correct (approved) way to perform the attachment to the exterior of the enclosure?