PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Main Service Pipe

David Block
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I was at a house this afternoon and saw that the main water service line entering the home was a blue plastic pipe. It looked like PEX to me. The pipe was grouted all around where it penetrated the wall. I was thinking that the pipe should be in a protective sleeve and not grouted but caulked as it leaves the wall. The builder says the pipe is CTS and designed to be used through concrete walls and not repairs are necessary. Who is right?

Nick Ostrowski
06-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Pics?

Scott Patterson
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I was at a house this afternoon and saw that the main water service line entering the home was a blue plastic pipe. It looked like PEX to me. The pipe was grouted all around where it penetrated the wall. I was thinking that the pipe should be in a protective sleeve and not grouted but caulked as it leaves the wall. The builder says the pipe is CTS and designed to be used through concrete walls and not repairs are necessary. Who is right?

CTS is CPVC pipe. Try this site it should help you. I see it from time to time and most of the time it is passed through a larger section of PVC pipe that acts as a sleeve and allows for thermal expansion of the pipe. http://www.harvel.com/downloads/spec-hydroking.pdf

Bruce Ramsey
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
IRC 2606.3 says it has to be sleeved.

Have him show you in the code where there is an exception.

Jerry Peck
06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
IRC 2606.3 says it has to be sleeved.

And the sleeve is required to be two sizes larger.

The annular space between the sleeve and the foundation wall would be grouted and sealed tightly. The annular space between the inner pipe and the outer sleeve would also need to be sealed, but with a sealant which is compatible with the material - not all sealants are compatible with CPVC.

James Duffin
06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Hers is what the NC plumbing code says.....

305.5 Pipes through or under footings or foundation walls.

Any pipe that passes within 12 inches (305 mm) under a footing
or through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving
arch, or a pipe sleeve pipe shall be built into the foundation
wall. The sleeve shall be two pipe sizes greater than the pipe
passing through the wall. Piping shall not be run under pier
footing (refer to Section 307)