PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas what this could be?

Stephen G Sheldon
06-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Saw this in the back yard of a home built in 1970. It looks like some sort of air intake but its located at the far left corner of the home behind the garage which is on a slab. Its also right next to a downspout that is draining at grade level. Any ideas? Maybe the downspout was previously hooked up to it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vern Heiler
06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Saw this in the back yard of a home built in 1970. It looks like some sort of air intake but its located at the far left corner of the home behind the garage which is on a slab. Its also right next to a downspout that is draining at grade level. Any ideas? Maybe the downspout was previously hooked up to it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Was there any other sign of a radon mitigation system?

Eric Barker
06-21-2011, 11:42 AM
My approach is to write such things as unknown and let the buyer ask the seller. You might be right about a downspout previously being connected to it - but what if you're not? I try to avoid assumptions and I advise my clients to do the same.

Stephen G Sheldon
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
There is a radon mitigation system but it clearly vents through the roof

Vern Heiler
06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
There is a radon mitigation system but it clearly vents through the roof

Sub-slab de-pressurization that I have seen, have a vent to draw air in under the slab. That would be my guess as to what you have pictured. That is how I would reference it as well.

JB Thompson
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
My approach is to write such things as unknown and let the buyer ask the seller. You might be right about a downspout previously being connected to it - but what if you're not? I try to avoid assumptions and I advise my clients to do the same.

I agree. Unless I know beyond the shadow of a doubt, it's too easy to just ask the seller. Now verbally, I might give them my thoughts and opinions, but ultimately, just ask the seller.