PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Vortex Drain covers

Tom McDonnell
08-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Anyone know the date that Anti-Vortez/Suction Relief drains became required in Florida?

Eric Van De Ven
08-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Anyone know the date that Anti-Vortez/Suction Relief drains became required in Florida?

I believe it was 2001. I couldn't find it in the 2004 code, but it should be in section 424. I am sure Jerry has the 2001 code.

If I see a pool without one and it is older, I always recommend that at some point, an anti-vortex cover should be installed. Also, in some instances, when a pool gets re-marcited, they don't change the cover. I write those up as in need of replacement.

Jerry Peck
08-06-2007, 06:47 AM
My recollection is back in the 90s. I have, back at my home office, the NSPI standards for swimming pools, forgot what year of issue they are, I think 1995, which (if I remember correctly) has them in there. May have even been required before then.

However, as Eric said (in different words) the pool does not know nor care what year it was constructed, it still has the same deadly suction on it for those who tempt fate by playing with the suction drains.

David Banks
08-06-2007, 08:52 AM
This has been posted before but for those of you who have not seen.