PDA

View Full Version : Outside Stairway/Handrail/Deck

Sherri Stolle
06-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Would anyone have any thought so whether this outside stairway (esp. the 2nd floor leading up to the 3rd floor) looks like it's up to "code"? There is no handrail on one side of that staircase - there is only one on the side furtherest from the house. Most people tell me that the porch is unsafe when they are walking up the stairs, but not sure if it's okay because the house is older and maybe the building codes wouldn't apply. Thanks for any info.

wayne soper
06-25-2011, 08:40 PM
google "stair code" and you will have your answer.

Deck and stairs do not appear to meet today's safety requirements. Consult with licensed contractor for repairs and upgrades

Rick Hurst
06-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't think those stairs / handrails met the standards of "anyday" not just the current standards.

rick

Sherri Stolle
06-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Thanks Rick and Wayne for your thoughts. I've been told by many, many people that they are unsafe and wanted to post some pictures and get some thoughts from others who are more familiar with building codes. I wasn't sure if because it's an older house, if he'd have to do something or if it was exempt and grandfathered in. Now, I'm thinking that the apartment in the attic may not be legal anyway - which may be why nothing was ever done. Anyhow - thank you again! :)