PDA

View Full Version : Suspended ceiling grid with fiberglass inulation on top

Jon mackay
06-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Is it permissible to install fiberglass batts on top of a ceiling grid for a thermal barrier?

This particular installation is an attached garage that originally was open from the floor to the roof deck.

It has been converted to a living space.
Installed a ceiling grid at the cross bracing, put some fiberglass on it and called it a finished ceiling.

Eric Barker
06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Is it permissible to install fiberglass batts on top of a ceiling grid for a thermal barrier?

This particular installation is an attached garage that originally was open from the floor to the roof deck.

Installed a ceiling grid at the cross bracing, put some fiberglass on it and called it a finished ceiling.

When you say grid are you referring to a drop ceiling? Such a ceiling would not be a proper barrier from the living area above regardless of what it's called. To specifically answer your question and not consider any side issues - I see no problem with insulation batts on the grid ceiling.

Jon mackay
06-26-2011, 10:54 AM
When you say grid are you referring to a drop ceiling?.

Yes, it is a drop type ceiling.

John Kogel
06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
There's no vapor barrier. Even if they use paper-backed batts, it wouldn't be a sealed barrier.

Bruce Low
06-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Very common in commercial applications where there are offices built within a warehouse type building.

All the best,
Bruce Low
Bottom Line Home Inspection

The Bottom Line - Through an Engineer's Eyes

Corn Walker
06-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Has the garage itself been converted to a living space or only the area above the garage?

Jon mackay
06-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Has the garage itself been converted to a living space or only the area above the garage?

the garage itself has been converted to a single floor bedroom.

brian schmitt
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
not acceptable in california.

Gary DeWitt
06-27-2011, 01:33 PM
If this is an inspection, you may want to direct your client to the AHJ for permit information. There is a good chance there was no permit pulled to convert the garage, and there are issues too numerous to mention with it.

Bill Hetner
06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi Jon, I think what people are thinking is that it is still being used as a garage where exhaust from cars/vehicles still can get it. this is an issue if that is the case, however if there is no exhast or fumes to worry about treat it as any normal shelter for insulating purposes and venting issues. the area you are talking about is basically an attic of sorts.

cheers

James Duffin
06-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Normally when you have paper-backed insulation on the top of a suspended ceiling the ceiling is fire-rated since the paper can not be left exposed.

Jerry Peck
06-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Normally when you have paper-backed insulation on the top of a suspended ceiling the ceiling is fire-rated since the paper can not be left exposed.

Maybe in a commercial installation, but I doubt that would be the case in a garage conversion.

At least it is not something that I would presume.

Mike Schulz
06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
As far as an issue laying on the panels there is not a issue except contact with non-rated can lights, etc. that I am aware of, hard to make a good barrier though but better then nothing.