PDA

View Full Version : vomit smell

Kevin Stenson
06-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Client says the house smells like vomit/urine.
I did not smell it
i welcome any suggestions on what it could be

Nick Ostrowski
06-30-2011, 09:09 PM
I did not smell it

Is there a question in here somewhere?

Craig Olsson
06-30-2011, 11:22 PM
A visual inspection will not pick up ol factory cues. Though, with a client making comments like that, I'd be on the lookout for the place being a genuine POS.

Jim Hintz
07-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I did not smell itHave her wash her hair, brush her teeth and change her drawers then see if she still smells it :D

Ian Page
07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Have her wash her hair, brush her teeth and change her drawers then see if she still smells it :D

....Too funny!

John Arnold
07-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Stinky cheese, is my guess.

Thomas McKay
07-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Could be a "CAT" box? :(

Bruce Ramsey
07-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I did not smell it

Lucky you.

Phil Brody
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't they have distinctly different smell ? Maybe she changed her mind about the purchase.

Thomas Tadd
07-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a call like that yesterday too. I recomended she put a gallon of water in the laundry room drain and call me if that didn't work.

Darrel Hood
07-02-2011, 05:01 AM
I recently had a call about the smell in a strip center shop. My first thoughts were floor drains, AC coil pan, toilet leak etc. What I found was the fire sprinkler system plumbing in a closet, with the smell coming from the air gap. We poured in water and a little vegetable oil. Three days later the smell was gone.

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I did not smell it
i welcome any suggestions on what it could be

First, the obvious - if both there at same time, and client smelled it but inspector didn't, perhaps client was smelling the INSPECTOR (who has grown accustomed to his/her "own stink"). Suggesting stink was from client or that client needed to clean self doesn't make sense - the inspector claims to have NOT smelled the odors that the client complained of - not the other way around. Next, perhaps the INSPECTOR's sense of "smell" is compromised, acutely or chronic - see doctor and get checked out.

Nearby active or former Landfill, waste transfer station, lot/garage for garbage haulers; garbage incinerator; waste water treatment facility; recent "big tunnel" fire/incident location of late news mention? Perhaps one of those - conditions have to be right to catch a "wiff" situations. Hard to figure from your brief post and recent edit - if you BOTH were there at the same time.

Vomit & Urine, perhaps, human or other source.
Decomposing carrion.
Bird, Bat, Vermin infestation.
Roach infestation? (some describe that particular, and distinctive "smell" of an infestation as such (combination of urine & vomit) when otherwise unfamiliar previously).
Swarm/infestation of box elder bugs or chinese "lady bugs" some recently smashed (tell-tale red smear stains for the former, bright orange for the later)?

Been a while since I compared "stink bug" scents, can't remember the range of various "stinks" and my sense of smell hasn't been what it once was for quite some time.

Wood's light and misting, such deposits will flouresece.
Public Heath inspection, HVAC and Plumbing systems may produce results.

Water source? was home winterized? plumbing system sanitized after restoration of power/flow? Septic inspected/serviced?

Thomas McKay
07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Be sure to check to see that all commodes are tight to the floor otherwise sewer gas can enter the residence from a damaged wax seal. If there is septic failure this can really be bad. The whole place will need to be raised and rebuilt some where else. For those who take everything too seriously that was a factious comment. No pun intended. :eek:

Joseph Peake
07-03-2011, 04:16 AM
H.G.'s already touched on it, but maybe a visit at night w/a uv light could uh ... "shed some light".

Alton Darty
10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I know that this thread is a couple of months old now but I just took the time to read it and thought I would throw in my opinion.
Were there any Gingko trees nearby? The fruit of the gingko tree has an unpleasant odor that is much like that of vomit.
I have also found that certain shrubs such as boxwoods produce a strong smell similar to cat urine. I have had a number of clients comment on the odor of boxwoods in the past.

Ernie Simpson
10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Just three months late on this... Could it be shrews - which eat mice. Supposedly their smell is horrible. Rx get pest company if others smell this or smell persists.