PDA

View Full Version : No OSB next to siding in attic area

Kat Fischer
07-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Hello,
Recently, my husband I had realized that there is no barrier (OSB or anything) between the studs and siding in our attic area. Sunlight is literally showing through the outside through the siding seams. Our home was built in 1994. Being just a homeowner with no inspection knowledge, this seems like a serious cutting of corners by the builder and which will be costly to repair/fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions on
a) any steps we can take to correct the problem and still be within code so we are able to sell our house in the future
b) if maybe I could bring this to anyone's attention (county inspector or otherwise) to help us out?

Thank you,
Kat

J Moore
07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
If possible, could you post a picture from inside and one from outside also.
Did you buy as new construction? Did you get an inspection done at time of purchase?

Jack Feldmann
07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
It's not uncommon in my area for the back side of the exterior siding to be visible from the attic. That's how I could tell what type of hardboard siding was installed, the tags were visible.

Benjamin Thompson
07-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I agree it's not uncommon, but probably not good. With newer construction, there should be a layer of sheathing on the studs (usually OSB) then a layer of Tyvek then the exterior siding.

Jack Feldmann
07-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Usually the end trusses had more members to support the nailing of the siding.

I agree that Tyvek and OSB would have been preferred.

James Duffin
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Hello,
Recently, my husband I had realized that there is no barrier (OSB or anything) between the studs and siding in our attic area. Sunlight is literally showing through the outside through the siding seams. Our home was built in 1994. Being just a homeowner with no inspection knowledge, this seems like a serious cutting of corners by the builder and which will be costly to repair/fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions on
a) any steps we can take to correct the problem and still be within code so we are able to sell our house in the future
b) if maybe I could bring this to anyone's attention (county inspector or otherwise) to help us out?

Thank you,
Kat

What kind of siding is on the house?

Kat Fischer
07-04-2011, 06:38 AM
What kind of siding is on the house?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will try to post pictures soon just so you can see what I am talking about. The home was built in 1994 and we purchased in 2009.

James - the type of siding is just wood siding, not vinyl or hardi-plank. That is what is part of the problem because it is expanding/shrinking because of the lack of a barrier, causing our paint to continually chip.