PDA

View Full Version : Slow day!!!

Scott Patterson
08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Well it looks like the typical August slowdown is in action. Just look at who is on line at 12:30 PM today!!!

Rick Hurst, Michael Thomas, Clay E White, Mike Boyett, Claudia Lawrence, Rick Vernon, Lewis Capaul, Hendrie Javier, Aaron Miller, Robert Schenck, Bob White, Mike Paris, Joseph Burkeson, David Nice, John Goad, Lee Barnes, Mitchell Captain, Jake Guerrero, Tim Moreira, Michael Greenwalt, Ben Garrison, Harris Breit, Eric Van De Ven, Harvey Hempelsterny aka. White Rabbit!.

I only have five jobs for the week, so it is a great deal slower for me. The bad thing is that four of the five are 1PM inspections and it is HOT outside! Today and the rest of the week we are suppose to hit 100f and with high humidity! We have a temperature inversion in the Nashville area and our air quality was worse than Los Angeles, CA yesterday!

Michael Thomas
08-06-2007, 10:53 AM
FWIW, I leave my browser open,and IN auto loads in one window, so I assume I show up as "logged in" here all the time.

That said, it's been slower.

Scott Patterson
08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
FWIW, I leave my browser open,and IN auto loads in one window, so I assume I show up as "logged in" here all the time.

That said, it's been slower.

Never thought about the browser deal, I do the same.

Rick Hurst
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Same thing here Scott.

I have a wireless card so I'm online even while on an inspection like right now.

Actually, we have been swamped. Think we had a late summer run on business due all the rain that we've had during the recent months.

All (3) of us are booked for the whole week. I'm leaving to go out of town to California next week so I'll let the rest of the guys here have some of the biz. ;)

I'm tired of this heat.

Gotta run, the tub is probably full by now.

Scott Patterson
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Same thing here Scott.

I have a wireless card so I'm online even while on an inspection like right now.

Actually, we have been swamped. Think we had a late summer run on business due all the rain that we've had during the recent months.

All (3) of us are booked for the whole week. I'm leaving to go out of town to California next week so I'll let the rest of the guys here have some of the biz. ;)

I'm tired of this heat.

Gotta run, the tub is probably full by now.

I will be out in California next week as well. I will be in San Francisco from Thursday thru Sunday.

Rick Hurst
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
San Francisco is great, but the wife loves S. California. We hang out at Laguna Beach and do the LA thing. She thinks all of LA is like Beverly Hills or Hollywood because that is the only place we go there.

SF is a lot cooler for sure. Went there a few years ago on the fourth of July and about froze just watching the fireworks.

Scott, If you have time, go across the bay and go visit MUIR woods. Unbelievable. It really puts you in your place as a small speck on this earth.

Then go scarf up some lunch at Scomas in Sausalito. OMG!
Scoma's Sausalito Restaurant | Superb Seafood & Romantic Views of San Francisco Bay (http://www.scomassausalito.com/)

Back to work.

Nick Ostrowski
08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
The phones are very slow here in SE Pennsylvania but I'm still scheduling inspections. Volume will be down this month.

Eric Shuman
08-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah,

It's slowed up a little bit for me in the last week or so but I have been so busy this summer I almost welcome it!

The nice thing in my neck o' the woods is that it is not raining today and has not rained in several days. I never thought I would say that, after 7+ years of drought but we are 20 inches above our normal rainfall for the year. One area about an hour west of Austin recieved 17 inches in one night! At one point in July we had had rainfall 34 of the previous 37 days. That is extremely rare in the summer time here. I got quite accustomed to inspecting in a rain suit and I'm sure I found a lot more roof leaks than I would have in a normal summer.

It was much needed as our area lakes (and we have quite a few) went from nearly 50 feet below normal levels to the most floodgates open at the dams in 50 years. I got trapped at high water crossings 3 times this summer when inspecting in the hill country during massive amounts of rain. I don't have a GPS and many of these roads were county roads and easements across ranches in the area. Instead of the GPS I got on the cell phone with my wife who got on line with Mapquest and guided me to other roads that were not flooded. GPS- SChmeePS

I know most people know this but I don't think it can be said enough: do not try to cross roads at high water crossings when water is flowing over the road. As we say in Central Texas, "Turn around, don't drown," which is exactly what I did even though the kid in me said "you can make it across that road easily!"

Several people in this area have been killed (drowned in their vehicles) by crossing roads with high water flowing across them, even when there were roadblocks. If a huge steel ship can float in the ocean, I guarantee that a car or truck with inflated tires (read pontoons) can easily float off of the road when the water is rushing.

The good thing about the rain (other than recharged aquifers and lakes) is that we have yet to reach 100 degrees here in July or August. I have lived in Central Texas for 15 years and have never experienced these months without at least 100 degrees, much less 105!! (and usually for most of the month) I think the hottest its been here so far this year is 96 degrees. Whoohoo!!:rolleyes:

Still 125 plus in the attics sometimes though.:eek:

O.K. I'm through blabbering,

Eric

Matt Fellman
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
This whole year has been feast or famine for me in Oregon... Last week was crazy busy... But I'm getting a much needed day off today.

David Banks
08-06-2007, 02:23 PM
SF is a lot cooler for sure. Went there a few years ago on the fourth of July and about froze just watching the fireworks.

Someone famous said " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

John Thompson
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
David-I think that was Mark Twain

Scott Patterson
08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
San Francisco is great, but the wife loves S. California. We hang out at Laguna Beach and do the LA thing. She thinks all of LA is like Beverly Hills or Hollywood because that is the only place we go there.

Scott, If you have time, go across the bay and go visit MUIR woods. Unbelievable. It really puts you in your place as a small speck on this earth.

Then go scarf up some lunch at Scomas in Sausalito. OMG!
Scoma's Sausalito Restaurant | Superb Seafood & Romantic Views of San Francisco Bay (http://www.scomassausalito.com/)

Back to work.

I'm going to try to do about a day of sight seeing, this is a working trip so my schedule is pretty much set and planed.