PDA

View Full Version : Possible defective shingles

Jon mackay
08-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Has anyone run across this type of shingle before?
The owner stated that the roof is only 10 years old which I have a hard time believing.
There is a tan colored aggregate at the top shingle area under the overlaps that I'm at a loss to explain the purpose.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry Peck
08-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I've heard of them and seen them in literature before, but never ran across them in real life ... they look as ugly as I imagined they would.

Take a standard 3-tab shingle but do not cut the notches out, leaving it a single-tab shingle.

Those look like they have failed.

How old are they?

Maybe just old and failed instead of 'defective'?

Michael Thomas
08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Happens to me all the time:

"Do you happen to remember when you had the roof replaced?"

"Well, that would have been around ten years ago... It was right before my husband died"?

"So that would have been around... "

" '85. He died in October, 1985..."

Jim Robinson
08-06-2007, 01:18 PM
It looks like the tan layer is a second layer under the new shingles. I haven't seen that type before, but they look worn out. I'd bet there is no more warranty left on them, and it's just aging.

Rick Cantrell
08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I have not seen shingles like that ether.
Rather than reporting it's age (10 years yea,like I believe that) report it's condition.
IE: This roof looks like it is at or near the end of it's useful life.
A qualified and licensed roofer should be consulted to determine the repairs needed and cost.

Jerry Peck
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
It looks like the tan layer is a second layer under the new shingles.

That tan color is the color of the granules on the top half of the shingles, you can even see the sealant strip on the top brown part.

Also, how is that gutter mounted? Looks to be some type of bracket going up and over the roof, then attached to/through the shingles.

wayne soper
08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
That roof is 25+ years if it is a day. HAve the owner put it in writing. That should get some eye pops and f u's going.

Scott Patterson
08-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think that roof has any felt on it. That really looks like the decking that is showing through.

The roof is toast and needs replacing. No need to have a roofer to "evaluate" it, just needs to replace it.

Jerry Peck
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think that roof has any felt on it. That really looks like the decking that is showing through.

I totally disagree with that. But ...

The roof is toast and needs replacing. No need to have a roofer to "evaluate" it, just needs to replace it.

I TOTALLY AGREE with that. :D

John Callan
08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
This is a simple call; wish they were all that easy. Shingles need replacing-yesterday!
John Callan

Rick Hurst
08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
John,

You'd think it would be that easy to call out.

Why try and analyze it for the sellers or the buyer what went wrong? They need to be replaced.

Jon mackay
08-07-2007, 04:54 AM
Thank you for all the comments.
You are right, they do need to be replaced.

I was just curious if the type of shingle has a bad reputation.
The house had several different roofs and the owner gave me ages for all of them which I could believe given their condition. This one section of roof threw me.

Thanks again...

Jon