PDA

View Full Version : Buried SER Type XHHW cable

Gunnar Alquist
07-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi folks,

Ran into this today. Feeder cables from the service equipment to the laundry area panel are run underground. While the wire insulation designation indicates the wires are rated for water, I was under the impression that buried electrical cables need to be UF.

Am I correct?

James Duffin
07-08-2011, 03:54 PM
C&P.....

Section 338.12 has been added to the 2008 NEC and covers uses not permitted for both Type SE and Type USE cables. It states that Type SE cable cannot be used where subject to physical abuse, unless adequately protected, and can never be installed in an underground installation, with or without a raceway.

Jerry Peck
07-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Also, underground cables installed under buildings shall be in a raceway.

Cables installed directly in the ground shall also be listed for direct burial, not that it matters for under a building (see above).

Really don't see anything correct about that installation.

Gunnar Alquist
07-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks Jerry & James,

That was my thought, but I was unable to find it.

"But it passed building inspection!"

Jerry Peck
07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
"But it passed building inspection!"

Nah ... the inspector "just didn't see it". :)

Rollie Meyers
07-08-2011, 10:16 PM
How long before the EGC turns to toothpaste? IMO moisture will wick into the cable assembly & the AL can turn into a toothpaste like substance.:( Underground is considered a wet location.

Jerry Peck
07-09-2011, 06:58 AM
How long before the EGC turns to toothpaste? IMO moisture will wick into the cable assembly & the AL can turn into a toothpaste like substance.:( Underground is considered a wet location.

"Underground is considered a wet location." As is the inside of a raceway underground.

And AL is used in direct burial cables and in raceways underground.

Basically, there is nothing correct about that installation as shown in the photos, and the more information we get, the worse the work will likely get. :)

Rollie Meyers
07-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Basically, there is nothing correct about that installation as shown in the photos, and the more information we get, the worse the work will likely get. :)

Sad to say both statements are true.