PDA

View Full Version : Genius or Not

Tony Mount
07-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I' am going to attach a low pressure mister garden sprayer that I found at Lowes for $15 to my A/C condensing unit and install a toilet filler valve upside down on the top of the unit with a plastic screen paddle over the blower to turn the water on and off. My question is will this hurt the unit or make it more efficient?

Nick Ostrowski
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Why not throw a check valve and a dimmer switch into that menagerie for good measure?

Bruce Ramsey
07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Might depend to some degree the relative humidity.

Sure the fan will tend to evaporate some of the moisture you are spraying and potentially add cooling to the coils but if the relative humidity is high, it will not naturally evaporate much.

Sounds like you are attemping to convert a conventional into a swamp cooler. Would wokr better in a low humidity environ like the southwest.

Dom D'Agostino
07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
They make a bunch of condensing misters already, they are all available online.

Consider, if you will:

If you have hard water, you'll get mineral deposits and scale.

If you have chlorinated water, you'll corrode the coils.

If you pay for water, it will cost you more money.

If you like to save resources, you'll be wasting water.

Dom.

Billy Stephens
07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
If I mist my condenser while it help cool my house? (http://www.instructables.com/answers/If-I-mist-my-condenser-while-it-help-cool-my-house/)
.Dom Knows. ;)

James Duffin
07-19-2011, 07:27 PM
It seems to me if your condensing unit is sized properly (all of the freon leaving is condenser coil is liquid) then the water spray will probably not help that much.